Switch from console to window.

Hi all,

Over the last five years I have developed a console application in C++. It is basically a football management game. Having finished the main program and game engine, I decided to make it into a windows App.

The problem is that I don't know where to start. I have never programmed for windows so I am at a bit of a loss. I need graphics but I wanted to steer clear of both Direct X and OpenGL because the 'graphics' I need are extremely simple. Static images would sufice, 2D and 3D not needed.

Its, visually, a very simple program. All I need is to create a window with various bottons (menu fashion). Each button will clear the window on being clicked to show new information. I need to include a picture of the stadium, players along with other eye candy.

To develop this Windows App I have decided that I would like a modern IDE (I currently use ancient Borland IDE's among others.) I need a 'visual' IDE that just lets me design the layout and then add the code. Like VC++ or Builder but I need to steer clear of those programs because I intend to distribute the code freely once finished. Any suggestions on which IDE to use and how to commence from there?

Greatly appreciated.
You can use the Visual WYSIWYG form builder of MSVC++, but you must be aware that it's solely based on the WinAPI. If you've never dealt with anything Windows before, be aware that it has all unique data types, mainly it's just type defs, but handles are the most important thing in WinAPI. If you want to attempt that, there is plenty of tutorials out there that can get you up in running.

If you're looking for something that has more of a C++ feel to it, WinAPI is their API in C, I'd suggest choosing something like wxWidgets. If you're using Code::Blocks IDE, it has a built in plugin called wxSmith which is a WYSIWYG interface for designing applications. There is a small learning curve to getting everything set up, but there is quite a few tutorials online about that as well.

There is several other toolkits, Qt, which has a WYSIWYG creator as well, FoxToolkit, and some others, but none of them have that C++ feel, in my opinion, or the WYSIWYG as wxWidgets does. If you're not partial to one specific toolkit or API, I'd suggest starting there as it's portable, see their website for supported OS's, it's pretty easy to jump it, especially after you read the tutorials, and It's quick to make something simple.

Since you said you only needed static images (I'm assuming like banners, image buttons, etc.) you only need to learn a toolkit as all of the ones that I know of have built in support for images.

If you don't mind upgrading to a new IDE, I strongly recommend Code::Blocks, especially since they have the latest g++ compiler coupled with an almost brand new release, it came out at the end of November. It's not only up to date, but it has the feel of a very lightweight IDE with tons of features, most of which you may never need, or even know they exist.
Wow, great reply thanks. I'm going to check out Code::Blocks now. I mistakenly thought QT was only for KDE and Linux. I have been reading about wxWidgets and I have come across it in the past but never used it. You have captured the essence of what I am trying to do in your answer. I definitely will want it to be up and working in Linux at some point and once the basic design is finished I intend to make it an open project for others to improve.

Thanks for your reply. I will get back to you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.