NEE need clarification on compilers

hi,
im new and taking a beginner C++ college class...very new!

The school provided a c++ compiler through a linux server.

The server isnt working on their end at the moment.

I need to finish my work and the only way I have at the moment is their C++ compiler, and the server is down!

Does anyone know how I can get a compiler for C++.

Im not very familiar with the linux thing and what Linux is exactly about.
So im not sure if Linux server system would matter or if I need to take it into consideration when in getting a compiler for myself.

Im on windows XP

I hope I have included all the information needed to help answer my question of getting a C++ compiler so I can get my work done for class.

Thank you for your help.

ps. dont have any $$ for paying for compiler...anything free?
Thanks!
Last edited on
Why don't you use Microsofts IDE?
If you were using Linux, most likely the compiler was GCC. There's a port of GCC for Windows called MinGW. It's always slightly behind GCC, but still up to date.
Thanks,

I believe our prof said it was GCC

If you use MinGW does it have all the links for the headers?
Im not really understanding the website I found on it.

If you use Microsoft IDE...does it have all the links for the headers?

Would I need anything else besides these compilers to debug and test the code?

so far we are using these headers :

iostream
fstream
iomap
string

Thanks!
Last edited on
VC does indeed have all the standard C++ libraries. VC is also one of the most mature IDEs you can find; if you are using windows, that is my recommendation.

I haven't done any windows programming recently, but I understand that VC Express can be downloaded for free from microsoft.
All the C++ compilers have the standard libraries
jt2007:

On VC Express Edition 2008 SP1:
I found out that the MSDN help library needs to be downloaded separately, if you try to use the included Help (a lot of help links require it). I did a quick google ('download MSDN library'--first link, next indent):

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/msdn/Default.aspx[for the 300MB Express or the 3 GB total library (I fixed the link)].

I hope this helps. One quirk(?) so far: VC likes 'gets_s' rather than 'gets' for multi-word entries. [Newbie observation.]

ERandall
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.