Exposing Class Object Vectors

I've been looking for a good answer to this and I can't find one that seems satisfactory.

Suppose I have a function that reads a file, builds a house object, and passes that object to another function that will write the house to a file. The house object has, internally, a few integers to describe itself (like dimensions) and some vectors that holds other objects like chair or wall objects. When writing out to a file, the write function must get access to all the information about the house object. For the integers, that's pretty easy. When it comes to the vectors, though, I'm having trouble.

While I could return the vectors by copy or reference, I believe both options are not ideal. Usually, I return const_iterators and let write function to iterate through the vector at its own leisure while keeping it from changing the vector. This seems fine if I am using a vector of non-custom objects (string, int, etc...). However, if I make my own class and store that, AFAIK, in order for the calling function to get the return value, it must declare either a generic vector or include the custom class header files just so I can declare a vector of that class. Is there a better way to solve this problem?

For example, I normally do this if I use vectors of ints:

class Foo
{
  std::vector<int> v;
  //Populate v.

std::vector<int>::const_iterator getStart() { return v.begin(); }
  std::vector<int>::const_iterator getEnd() { return v.end(); }
}

int main()
{
  foo way;
  std::vector<int>::const_iterator itStart = way.getStart();
  std::vector<int>::const_iterator itEnd = way.getEnd();
  //Do something.
}

I have to do this when I use vectors of custom class objects:

//Mojo.hpp
class Mojo
{
  //Something.
}

//Foo.hpp
#include "Mojo.hpp"

class Foo
{
  std::vector<Mojo> v;
  //Populate v;

std::vector<int>::const_iterator getStart() { return v.begin(); }
  std::vector<int>::const_iterator getEnd() { return v.end(); }
}

//Main.cpp
#include "Mojo.hpp"
#include "Foo.hpp"

int main()
{
  Foo way;
  std::vector<Mojo>::const_iterator itStart = way.getStart();
  std::vector<Mojo>::const_iterator itEnd = way.getEnd();
  //Do something.
}

Thanks in advance.
I think classes should, as much as possible, take care of themselves. I would have written it so that the object writes itself to file; it has full access to all its own values.
Just make the object know how to save/load itself:

class Foo {
   //...
public:
   void save(std::ostream& out) const; //saves to the ostream out
   void load(std::istream& in); //loads the object from the istream
};

If you prefer the standard <</>> syntax, simply overload the corresponding functions:

class Foo {
   //...
   //these are friends so they can save data that might not be accessible to the user
public:
   friend std::ostream& operator<<(std::ostream& out, const Foo& obj);
   friend std::istream& operator>>(std::istream& in, Foo& obj);
};
I'm looking for a more general solution to the saving to a file. I need a solution that can work in many different scenarios like drawing a picture based on the objects in a vector or plugging the values into a function for some kind of computation. I basically am looking for a solution that I can use to write a class once and use the data contained in the class in varied ways without having to change the class.
Sounds like you're asking how to serialise in C++

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization#C_and_C.2B.2B
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.