Advice

Hi, I'm looking for advice on how to learn C++ in a self-paced way.
I have recently installed the Qt ide and am also doing some self-paced skillsoft courses in C++. I'm a little confused in that the skillsoft courses mention the <iostream> header file, whereas I can't see how this works in Qt.
Should I be learning in a different ide?

I'm a little confused in that the skillsoft courses mention the <iostream> header file, whereas I can't see how this works in Qt.

Like this:
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
  std::cout << "Hello world";
}

Just the same as everywhere else. Sounds to me like you're confused as to what C++ actually is.

C++ is a programming language defined on a piece of paper.
C++ code is anything written that conforms to that specification.
A C++ source file is C++ code written in a plain text file.
A compiler is a software tool that takes those plain text files and turns them into compiled binary object files.
A linker is a software tool that takes those compiled object files and mashes them together into a library or an executable program.

QT is a set of libraries, primarily aimed at creating nice pictures on the screen and interacting with them.
The QT IDE is a set of tools that make it easier for you to write C++ source files, and compile and link them.

iostream is the name given to a set of classes and function, specified in the C++ standard (that paper document I mentioned above). This means that anything that calls itself a C++ compiler should come with those classes and functions ready for you to use.

Anything unclear?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.