Prime Numbers

bool primeCheck(unsigned long long n)
{
    if(n % 2 == 0)
        return false;
    for(unsigned int i = 3; i < (n/2); i = i + 2)
    {
            if(n % i != 0)
            {
                return false;
            }

}
    return true;
}

I was bored so I decided to make a prime checker. This seems to work, though it I'm not sure as it gives an answer almost instantly even with close the largest number I can stick in there (unsigned long long, 17 digit number)

EDIT:
Up to 19 digits, max I can stick in there it seems like. With GCC4.7
Last edited on
This isn't right:
            if(n % i != 0)
            {
                return false;
            }

Have you tried 9? Or 1?
Oh wow! Haha, I don't know how I missed that. I think I had two different trains of thoughts going there, and they collided.

bool primeCheck(unsigned long long n)
{
    if(n % 2 == 0)
        return false;
    for(unsigned int i = 3; i < (n/2); i = i + 2)
    {
            if(n % i == 0)
            {
                return false;
            }

}
    return true;
}

Better? :)

EDIT:
I'm curious though, why did it work so often before? I was trying some pretty big numbers, and cross checking with wolfram and it was working
Last edited on
They could have all been divisible by two? Either that, or they were breaking something. I have a very good example of a Prime checker. It needs to be speed optimized yet, but it's a smart checker, storing primes into a vector and cross checking them against the new number.

Code:
std::vector<long long> vPrimes;

// Definition of IsPrime
bool IsPrime(long long number) {
    // Loop through all known primes
    for (unsigned int i = 0; i < vPrimes.size(); i ++)
        // If number is divisible, it's not prime, return
        if (number % vPrimes[i] == 0)
            // Return false, was not prime
            return false;

// Number was prime, add to vector
    vPrimes.push_back(number);
    // Return true, was prime
    return true;
}
Last edited on
Well I wasnt using even numbers for my tests. Just read about the Sieve of Eratosthenes. I'd heard of it before, but never had a reason to actually look it up. It looks really slick, I think I'm gonna work on implementing it.

I like how you did that. When I was doing mine above (I spent about 7 minutes on that lol) I was thinking about using a vector like you did there. May be faster traversing it with a pointer or iterator. But then again, the bracket operator probably uses pointers internally anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I think I spent more time writing my comments in than I did actually coding the function. My main isn't pretty either, but took a mere minute to write that as well.
But then again, the bracket operator probably uses pointers internally anyway.
Yes.

Strictly speaking, to prove the primality of n you only need to check divisibility by all positive primes <=sqrt(n). Although I can't say for sure that iterating an array is faster than just checking all naturals <=sqrt(n).
Why couldn't you do both? In main where I call IsPrime, I have:
    for (long long i = 2; i < 2000000; i ++)
        if (IsPrime(i))

I could make it faster by doing...
    for (long long i = 2; i < sqrt(2000000); i ++)
        if (IsPrime(i))

But I'm not sure how much faster it could get without using a different method altogether like the sieve.
If you only need one prime, that's far slower than either method.
It was for a summation of primes. All primes under 2000000...which means...I can't use the sqrt either -.-
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.