Converting string to double, but extra numbers are added

Hi, I'm trying to convert a string to a double. The string should be in this format: "0.04". However, when I convert from a string to a double using atof, the new double's value is "0.0400000000001". How do I get it to just convert two the two decimal place without adding all of the extra numbers at the end?

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
#include <string>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <ctype.h>

double getPrice(string test)
{
//(test = "0.04")
double price = atof(test.c_str());
return price;
}

input: "0.04"
expected output: 0.04
actual output: 0.040000000001
Thanks george but that only works if you're going to push it to 'cout' right? What if I'm returning as part of a my member function?
I should also add that the string is passed as a parameter and will not always be the same length.
just another possibility without using atof():

#include <iostream>
#include <sstream>

const char *amt = "1.04";

int main()
{
  std::stringstream ss(amt);
  float f = 0.0;
  ss >> f;
  std::cout << f << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
Thanks Texan, but I'm trying to return it as a value, not push it to the cout operator.
I might be mistaken here, but I believe you're getting that one all the way at the end bc of the string being terminated. I personally don't know of a way to predict the end of the string. But have you tried casting the string to a float? I personally only use strings for letters and words. If a number is put in, I use number data types. Maybe look up what the terminating character is first, remove it from the end of the string and convert?
Volatile Pulse,

The program that I'm writing reads from a csv file using fstream and getline. I've created an algorithm that extracts the prices from the getline string into another string using substr.

int main()
{
	vector<test> test(100);  // Vector of objects
	int noOfTest = 0; // Number of vector objects (a counter of objects)
	importPrices(test, noOfTest); // Calls the member function importPrices
	return 0;
}

void importPrices(vector<test>& test, int& noOfTest)
{
	ifstream fin("test.csv");  // The csv file to read
	string input; // String the store the line
	while(getline(fin, input))
	{
		test[noOfTest].setPrice(getPrice(input));  // Calls the function getPrice to return a string in a double format for the object
		++noOfTest;  // Increments the counter for the objects
	}
}

double getPrice(string input)
{
	.... // Algorithm to pull the price from the string
	string test = "0.04"  // Algorithm finds the price
	double price = atof(test.c_str());
	return price;
}

I'm not sure if I can cast the string as a float in my case. Hopes this puts it into a better perspective.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.