Anyone willing to assist me getting started with this code?

I am attempting to create a program that can be used to show possible solutions to a puzzle. My description may need some further explanation, but I'm going to describe what I'm trying to do based on what my brain does when I play the game. A few things to know before hand:

1. 9x9 grid is the playing board
2. 6 rounds per game
2. 7 letters per round
3. Words can only be 3 - 6 letters in length
4. Bonus for making 6 letter words
5. Bonus for using all 7 letters in a round.

Now that you have the rules, this is how my brain plays the game.

In the first round, I will be given 7 letters. I want to come up with actual words using all 7 letters if possible in a crossword type play.

Ex: The letters are S P A C E S W.

Possible solutions to play would be:

................S.................................S...............S....P
..........S P A C E......or.....S P A C E........or... A C E
...............W................................W..............W...S

Obviously there are many numerous other ways to arrange the letters but that should give you an idea. For me, I would put preference of either of the first two choices because that would lead to making a 6 letter word (adding D, S, or R to the end of SPACE) in any of the next rounds.

For the next round, once again given 7 letters. Once again need to create words but now must take into account letters already on the board. If possible, the program would suggest a 6 letter word as well as use all 7 letters, but the order of importance would be 6 letter word then all 7 letters. The remaining rounds would follow the same pattern as the second round.

Ex: The letters are O F A I N G D.

Possible solutions to play would be:

.........................................O.........................................G
.........................................A.......................................F A D
................s.......................F..........s........................s O p
..........s p a c e D......or.....s p a c e D........or..........a c e
..........O...w..................................w.......................w I s
..........F....I....................................I........................N
..........A...N...................................N
...............G...................................G

I have come up with a sort of outline of how the program would run and would greatly appreciate as much help as I can get. The program would work something like this.

Step 1: User inputs up to 7 letters.
Step 2: Program looks at a dictionary text file for all possible word combinations. Displays 5 - 6 options.
Step 3: User selects option which is then displayed on the 9x9 grid. (User can also manually put options onto the grid).
Step 4: User inputs up to 7 letters.
Step 5: Program uses all available letters on grid as well as letters input by user looking at a dictionary text file for all possible word combinations. Displays 5 - 6 options.
Step 6: User selects option which is then displayed on the 9x9 grid. (User can also manually put options onto the grid).
Step 7: Step 4 through 6 will be repeated 4 more times.

Thank you all in advance for the assistance you provide.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.