Expected unqualified-id before '{' token

First off, I was wondering what exactly does this error mean? I always see it but have no idea how to fix it because I don't know exactly what is wrong.

Here is the code and the error shows up for line 83:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

// tempstats.cpp                                                                                                                              
//   purpose: analyze a list of daily temperatures                                                                                            
//     input: a list of daily temperatures as integers                                                                                        
//    output: some statistics about the temperature list                                                                                      
//                                                                                                                                            
//    output:                                                                                                                                 
//            highest: 67                                                                                                                     
//            lowest: 41                                                                                                                      
//            average: 52.3                                                                                                                   
//            days above: xxx                                                                                                                 
//            days below: xxx                                                                                                                 
//                                                                                                                                            
//    completed by: David Kim                                                                                                                 
//              on: 02/22/12                                                                                                                  
//                                                                                                                                            

const int       MAX_TEMPS = 1000;

int     read_in(int[]);
double  get_avg(int[], int);
int     get_max(int[], int);
int     get_min(int[], int);
int     get_num_above(int[], int, double);
int     get_num_below(int[], int, double);
void    report(int, int, double, int, int);

int main()
{
        int     temps[MAX_TEMPS];
        int     num_temps;
        int     highest, lowest;
        double  avg;
        int     days_above;
        int     days_below;

num_temps = read_in(temps);             // read in the data                                                                           
        avg       = get_avg(temps, num_temps);
        highest   = get_max(temps, num_temps);
        lowest    = get_min(temps, num_temps);
        days_above=get_num_above(temps, num_temps, avg);
        days_below=get_num_below(temps, num_temps, avg);

report(highest, lowest, avg, days_above, days_below);
        return 0;
}
//                                                                                                                                            
// read_in -- read in the temperatures from cin, store in array                                                                               
//        data consists of one integer representing the number of temps                                                                       
//        then that many ints                                                                                                                 
//   returns: the number of temperatures read in                                                                                              
//   affects: modifies the array by storing data                                                                                              
//      note: if number of temps exceeds MAX_TEMPS, then complain and exit(1)                                                                 
//                                                                                                                                            
int read_in(int list[MAX_TEMPS])
{
        int num;
        cin >> num;
        if ( num > MAX_TEMPS )
        {
            cout << "Too many temperatures." << endl;
            exit (1);
        }
        for ( int i = 0; i < num; i++ )
        {
            cin >> list[i];
        }
        return num;
}
//                                                                                                                                            
// get_avg -- compute the average of all the temps in the array                                                                               
//    args: list[] the data                                                                                                                   
//          num    the number of temps in the array                                                                                           
//    rets: the average                                                                                                                       
//    note: if num is 0, then print a message and exit(1)                                                                                     
//                                                                                                                                            
double get_avg(int list[MAX_TEMPS], int num);
int total;
int current_sum = 0;
double average;
{
    if ( num == 0 )
    {
        cout << "You have zero number of temperatures." << endl;
        exit (1);
    }
    for ( int i = 0; i < num; i++)
    {
        current_sum = current_sum + list[i];
    }
        total = current_sum;
        average = total / num;
    return average;
}

To be clear, this is not all of my code. I didn't feel it necessary to copy over the other functions as there were no other error messages.

If needed however, I can post the rest of it.
In this case it appears that you have an extra { on line 83.
Are you sure? I need that to open up for get_avg(int list[MAX_TEMPS] ... etc etc.
double get_avg(int list[MAX_TEMPS], int num); // This is a prototype
double get_avg(int list[MAX_TEMPS], int num)
{ // This is a definition. 

If that bracket is there to open up the get_avg function, then you need to move it to directly after the double get_avg(int list[MAX_TEMPS], int num) line and get rid of the semicolon on that line.
Ah thank you that seems to have done the trick!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.