Joining multiple data types?

Hi everyone. I'm working on a project - a "sudoku solver." I'm not very well-trained, never taken a C++ class or anything, but have been slowly picking things up on my own. Although I'm starting to learn more and more elements of C++, I'm most familiar with the basics, recursion, arrays and vectors. (Lists, heaps, piles, deques, etc confuse me, along with the whole object-oriented class system. I'll get there soon hopefully).

My approach:

Create a nine by nine array, and link each specific position to a "list" or set of the digits 1-9. Visually, I'm seeing a 2D game-board, with a "stack" of possible numbers on each space. I figured if I can set this up, some type of brute force would lead to answer.

The question:

Is there a way to link the 81 positions on the board to a list or vector sequence of digits? I know I could declare 81 variables by hand, and have them store the possible digits, and go from there... but I feel like there has to be a more sophisticated way.

Is there a way to have an array thats joined to a list? Like
"array[position][position]*[list of 9 numbers]*"?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
There certainly is. Make an array of lists or make an array of vectors or make an array of arrays..

I'm not certain this is a good approach though. One 'cell' of a Sudoku puzzle has either one number in it or none. Making use of an array of int (either 1 or 2d) you could use the value at each particular position to store whether a position currently has a number (0 = no number?) and what that number is.
Thank you! I did not know the array class could be co-opted like that. I've only used it for integers and strings / characters so far.

You're probably right - I'll give it a try. (First, I'll figure out how these array of lists work). I appreciate the help!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.