Opinion on best way to learn C++

So I have been talking with someone who pretty much is a programmer for some company. He told me that I should probably go to some school that teaches C++ or programming in general to make it easy for myself. I don't find C++ hard and I already know almost every single basic thing from pointers to arrays to constructs/destructors and I'm moving toward learning inheritance and how to inherit classes.

So my question is, would it be wise to go to some school to learn C++ more better as to how and why things are used or just keep learning alone?

Some things I'm practicing right now are passing arguments and pointer arguments to other functions, constructs ect. I still need to work on using linked classes, copy constructors, and why using static members is needed and static methods.

thanks for anyone who could help me out, its really bothering me that I'm trying to further my learning experience and I'm not sure what is a better approach.
Going to some school is often a waste of time and the courses are usually taught by people who know little about the subject themselves.* Learning on your own is the way to go, but then it'll be in your own responsibility to keep expanding your knowledge (starting with Effective C++, Modern C++ Design etc.).

* only for programming languages
Last edited on
Going to some school is often a waste of time and the courses are usually taught by people who know little about the subject themselves.

The teacher I had always had the same respone to questions, no matter what the question was...

I don't know, you tell me...
Last edited on
Go to school to learn about computer science and software engineering. Learn the language on your own. If you can go to a school like Stanford or MIT that still teaches C/C++ and haven't switched over completely to Java or C#, that's a bonus. (Well, going to either those schools has its own merits besides learning C++, but they are related at a fundamental level.) It may not be that easy for the average or even above-average student to find though.
Thank you everyone for your opinions. Atm I am reading a book "C++ for Dummies" which is actually great for a beginner but then... I wish it talked about some topics a bit more like... linked classes, using static variables and stuff. Every other topic is covered well and easy but Idk if I should upgrade to another book yet. I want to get into using an api (Allegro since im a beginner and I heard its the easiest one) so I guess I better start practicing on the topics i struggle at and learn inheritance soon.

but anyways, thank you all for your input, I just hope to get better at this and the programming I want to do is mainly programming for any job that is probably entry level and I would also like to get into game programming which are 2 different things.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.