error: expected primary-expression before 'int'

I'm working on a program, and as I'm going through the first part of it, I get these errors for line 55:

I thought that when calling a function, you are supposed to use commas to separate the arguments? If so, I don't understand why it's telling me this.
Now, admittedly, there are probably other errors here as well, since the passing of parameters has got me all confused, but I can't move on to those or finish my program until I fix this part first. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have to finish this one by tonight...

//This is a program that calculates the number of boxes of floor
//tile needed to complete x amount of rooms, given the size of
//the tile to be used.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <cmath>
using namespace std;

ofstream outfile;

//Variable declarations
    int rooms;
    int tileSize;
    int lengthFeet;
    int lengthInches;
    int widthFeet;
    int widthInches;

//Function prototypes
void GetTiles(int lengthInches, int lengthFeet, int widthInches, int widthFeet);

int main()
{
    //Open outfile for answers
    outfile.open("answers.out");
    if(!outfile)                //Check to make sure outfile opens correctly
    {
        cout << "Error opening output file." << endl;   //If it doesn't, display error message
        return 0;                                       //and quit
    }

cout << "Enter number of rooms: " << endl;          //Prompt for number of rooms to tile
    cin  >> rooms;                                      //Read in number of rooms to tile
    outfile << "Number of rooms entered is: " << rooms << endl;
    cout << "Enter size of tile in inches: " << endl;   //Prompt for size of tile in inches
    cin  >> tileSize;                                   //Read in size of the tile in inches
    outfile << "Size of tile entered (in inches) is: " << tileSize << endl; //Print out size of tile entered

while( rooms > 0)           //While room number is greater than 0
    {
        cout << "Enter length of room (in feet and inches, separated by a space.): " << endl;//Prompt for room length
        cin  >> lengthFeet >> lengthInches;             //Read in room length in feet and inches
        outfile << "Length of room entered (in feet and inches) is: " << lengthFeet          //Print out entered amounts
                << " " << lengthInches << endl;
        cout << "Enter width of room (in feet and inches, separated by a space.): " << endl; //Prompt for room width
        cin  >> widthFeet >> widthInches;               //Read in room width in feet and inches
        outfile << "Width of room entered (in feet and inches) is: " << widthFeet            //Print out entered amounts
                << " " << widthInches << endl;
        GetTiles(int lengthInches, int lengthFeet, int widthInches, int widthFeet);         //Call function
        rooms--;                //Decrement room number

}
    return 0;                   //Quit
}
//*********************************************************************************
//GetTiles function
void GetTiles(int lengthInches, int lFeetToConvert, int widthInches, int wFeetToConvert)
{
  float numTilesL = 0;
  numTilesL = (lFeetToConvert / 12) + lengthInches; //Divide feet by 12 and add Inches to get total inches length
  cout << "You will need " << ceil(numTilesL) << " tiles for length." << endl; //Round up answer
  float numTilesW = 0;
  numTilesW = (wFeetToConvert / 12) + widthInches;  //Divide feet by 12 and add Inches to get total inches width
  cout << "You will need " << ceil(numTilesW) << " tiles for width." << endl;  //Round up answer
  float totalTiles = 0;
  totalTiles = numTilesL * numTilesW;               //Multiply total length by width to get total tiles
  cout << "You will need " << totalTiles << "tiles total for this room." << endl;
return;
}

Line 51 should be:
GetTiles(lengthInches, lengthFeet, widthInches, widthFeet);

You already told the compiler that these are int's, in the function prototype and the function definition.
So you just pass the variables to the function. (:
Last edited on
Aha! Thanks, Lynx. :) Another question, please...
I found some problems with my math in the GetTiles function, but for some reason, my numTilesL and numTilesW are not being rounded up. Did I do that wrong? Here is the edited program. I'd like to round those up for my program, but if I can't figure it out, I guess I could just add one to the answer, but that seems less than ideal...
Can you see where I went wrong?

//This is a program that calculates the number of boxes of floor
//tile needed to complete x amount of rooms, given the size of
//the tile to be used.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <cmath>
using namespace std;

ofstream outfile;

//Variable declarations
    int rooms;
    int tileSize;
    int lengthFeet;
    int lengthInches;
    int widthFeet;
    int widthInches;

//Function prototypes
void GetTiles(int lengthInches, int lengthFeet, int widthInches, int widthFeet);

int main()
{
    //Open outfile for answers
    outfile.open("answers.out");
    if(!outfile)                //Check to make sure outfile opens correctly
    {
        cout << "Error opening output file." << endl;   //If it doesn't, display error message
        return 0;                                       //and quit
    }

cout << "Enter number of rooms: " << endl;          //Prompt for number of rooms to tile
    cin  >> rooms;                                      //Read in number of rooms to tile
    outfile << "Number of rooms entered is: " << rooms << endl;
    cout << "Enter size of tile in inches: " << endl;   //Prompt for size of tile in inches
    cin  >> tileSize;                                   //Read in size of the tile in inches
    outfile << "Size of tile entered (in inches) is: " << tileSize << endl; //Print out size of tile entered

while( rooms > 0)           //While room number is greater than 0
    {
        cout << "Enter length of room (in feet and inches, separated by a space.): " << endl;//Prompt for room length
        cin  >> lengthFeet >> lengthInches;             //Read in room length in feet and inches
        outfile << "Length of room entered (in feet and inches) is: " << lengthFeet          //Print out entered amounts
                << " " << lengthInches << endl;
        cout << "Enter width of room (in feet and inches, separated by a space.): " << endl; //Prompt for room width
        cin  >> widthFeet >> widthInches;               //Read in room width in feet and inches
        outfile << "Width of room entered (in feet and inches) is: " << widthFeet            //Print out entered amounts
                << " " << widthInches << endl;
        GetTiles(lengthInches, lengthFeet, widthInches, widthFeet);         //Call function
        rooms--;                //Decrement room number

}
    return 0;                   //Quit
}
//*********************************************************************************
//GetTiles function
void GetTiles(int lengthInches, int lFeetToConvert, int widthInches, int wFeetToConvert)
{
  float numTilesL = 0;
  numTilesL = ((lFeetToConvert * 12) + lengthInches) / tileSize; //Multiply feet by 12 and add Inches to get total inches length
  numTilesL = ceil(numTilesL);
  cout << "You will need " << numTilesL << " tiles for length." << endl; //Round up answer
  float numTilesW = 0;
  numTilesW = ((wFeetToConvert * 12) + widthInches) / tileSize;  //Multiply feet by 12 and add Inches to get total inches width
  numTilesW = ceil(numTilesW);
  cout << "You will need " << numTilesW << " tiles for width." << endl;  //Round up answer
  float totalTiles = 0;
  totalTiles = numTilesL * numTilesW;               //Multiply total length by width to get total tiles
  cout << "You will need " << totalTiles << " tiles total for this room." << endl << endl;
return;
}
Last edited on
Take a look at this post for rounding up:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/3638/
Hey Framework, your criticism is not helpful. So please stfu if you can't say something useful. I'm trying here.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.