From darkBasicPro to c++...

Hi! I "programmed" CoolBasic and DarkBasic very looong time and I was very good in those.
But then at some Finnish forum someone said that DarkBasic, CoolBasic and those aren't really "programming languages", and I understand why... Now I really want to learn c++. I can write that "Hello world program", but I don't understant c++ at all... I read tutorials and I'm trying to learn, but all tutorials I read, there are things that are not explained so well.

Example: "Now write "int main()". There always needs to be "Main". Main is Important". Then I'm like... Now wtf is that "main"?

I don't want to buy any "C++ books" that cost money...
Please tell me where U ppl learned, and where or how I should learn C++?
Not sure what their definition of a programming language is then. BASIC in itself is a language that's been around for a long time, Cool and Dark are just dialects of BASIC. Now I actually started my programming life in high school with a class that used DarkBASIC. And I continued to use it for a couple years after that class. DB is a programming language, it follows a strict set of syntax rules, it's compiled, and it actually runs off of DirectX. So don't worry, it is programming. It just simplifies graphics programming quite a bit.

Now, learning C++ is a whole 'nother animal. It takes some time and effort to be proficient in C++. I started with a class in high school again, but it was really really basic stuff in there. I ended up reading the text book for that class on my own, even though the class only made it to like chapter 4 or 5. After that semester, I continued to program in C++ and realized that I want to go to college for this. Now I'm a computer major. I've now been programming off and on in C++ for 4ish years. I've taken one more class for in college, but my college uses Java as it's primary language so they don't have much C++. And now I hardly have time during school to do any recreational programming haha.

So yea, just keep at it, follow the tutorials on here, pick up a good book, and just write programs. Also if you go to YouTube, and look for TheNewBoston, you will find some excellent video tutorials. Bucky is pretty awesome, he knows his stuff, teaches well, and he's pretty funny too. Really all you can do to learn is just keep programming, and ask questions when you need to.

Now the main() function, is just the entry point in your program. Your OS will call main() once, and only once, when you run your program. Without main(), you will never run your program. There's countless articles on main(), but all you need to know right now is that you do need it. That's where your program starts.
There's different ways to call main(), but you it always needs to be of int type, that is
int main()
Main can also take some arguments, but you shouldnt worry about that right now. Just if you see some examples that have
int main(int argc, char *argv[]
Don't think anything of it, it's just another way to invoke main that has its purposes.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.