How do you make the basics fun?

I've tried self teaching myself C++ via C++ Primer Plus and Object Oriented Programming in C++ and always find that it's so dry I have a hard time keeping focused. I understand it's the most important part of learning the language and I plan on going to college for Programming, but it's just so, so dry.

I usually make every example program that's in the book(s) so I'm typing out code and I find it helps with learning, but the programs you end up making are simple and not very engaging. I get that they're not supposed to be, it's just... I really find it hard to keep focused because it's so dry.

Is there anything you did while learning to help keep it interesting? To spice it up?
Have you tried pointers, object-oriented programming using classes and objects? Things such as function calls are really simple, but do you understand how to make a call to store a specific amount of memory for specific variables? Do you know how to make your program save, read and write to files? How far exactly did you get?
I usually make every example program that's in the book(s) so I'm typing out code and I find it helps with learning, but the programs you end up making are simple and not very engaging.

That's the problem. Don't bother with the examples, but rather test your knowledge on a project you do find interesting.
I know the basics of pointers (i.e how they work), but haven't yet used them as this book brings them up after classes. I know the basics of OOP and classes from a year of Java in high school, and I'm currently on the Classes chapter in Object Oriented Programming in C++ by Lafore. I go through variables and functions and compound types and it's somewhere around Classes that I always just get too dragged down by how dry the content is. Haven't done any file/IO yet.

Maybe that's my problem, that I'm not creating my own projects that I might find interesting. My problem with that is I don't know enough to do much of anything. I just know that if I was doing something like making a box in OpenGL even, I'd be having a lot more fun. But to get there I have to get through this, but 'this' is just hard to get through alone.

Was just posting because I figured someone else might have had this problem and found a solution. If I was in a structured learning environment it'd be fine, but I find doing it on my own tough when it isn't engaging.
Well, the first step would be: take an example, make it run, and try to understand it while debugging. Just watch the values of the variables changing and try to understand why and why it's done this way.

Then modify the examples so that it does more/different things.

That'd make it less dry and more worth while
Most programming languages are a bit dry to learn. I'm not sure I'd ever gotten into it if I didn't need it.

Personally, I found the ProjectEuler challenges very motivating, though the later ones are more about obscure mathematical oddities than programming. The first page, however, are fun little challenges.

http://projecteuler.net/
I found C++ books "ok". I hated all the student GPA stuff though. I took what was in the book and changed it to something more relatable/enjoyable.

i.e., if you like cars, make it about cars instead of students and their grade average. You could expand the program with a different subject to code about. Then keep adding to it as you go through the book.
Pro tip: change "GPA" to "penis length" and add yourself in the sample data.
C++ is a large language, and for a lot of more advanced types of programming you almost have to know everything to even start on it. May be a reason why a lot of people don't like programming in C++ anymore...? But yea, just keep at it if it's what you wanna do. It'll pay off in the end, and it gets better once you a good grasp of the basics at least
You can use tutorials which teach you fundamentals of c++. Tutorials such as those of TheNewBoston from youtube are a good place to get started.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.