Dynamic Genealogy/Timeline

Hi everyone!

I'm extremely new to programming with C++, my programming days were close to a decade ago and involved VB only. But I'm trying to learn this language for the sake of a specific program I am trying to develop that will help me out tons with storing and viewing a very large amount of info (thousands of names, dates, etc.).

My main concern however, is now whether I'm starting down the proper path for this program or if I need to go a different way. I had read one of the articles here that mentioned learning console programming might not be the best route to go if I'm looking into developing programs with graphics. As shown in the subject header, the program I'm looking to create is a dynamic genealogy/timeline. Basically, it will store info such as names, dates, and relations, and be able to produce a timeline chart that shows the genealogy as well as the time this person lived. I say it's dynamic because due to the amount of data per person, one will have to perhaps click on the name and view more info. Also, I will be needing to add information as time goes on and need the interface to do so instead of hard-programming the info into the actual program. Anyone understand perhaps what I'm trying to do?

The problem (maybe?) is that so far all I'm learning is console programming. Again I'm new, so that might be the first baby steps to learning C++. I know I can't make this entire program to use the console, but will need to create a window for it all, which of course needs some sort of graphical programming, correct? Please forgive me if I'm completely wrong here, again my programming knowledge is pretty much a decade old and set in VB which uses actual objects to create the program so I never really dealt with anything else.

Can you experts here tell me if I'm on the right path for what I'm needing to do? I don't want to spend months learning as much as I can, only to find out that I should have learned this OTHER stuff instead. I've been relying on the C++ Documentation here on the site in order to learn. I, to my chagrin, bought a C++ for Dummies book a while back but I quickly set that on my shelf to collect dust because it seemed to be inadequate.

I'm also using Dev-C++ as my compiler/IDE. I tried starting with code:blocks but kept having issues with the compiler. So, starting fresh on my other computer I put on Dev-C++ and can actually at least create, compile, and run the projects I've made thus far! I'm sure the IDE and such is helpful info for anyone who tries to help this newbie here . . .

I appreciate any and all help with this, I really am wanting to learn as best I can, and not learn I took a very wrong turn, after months of time invested!
I hate "bumping" this topic (Even after 4 days of no replies), but I was really hoping someone here could help me out on this...?
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
C++ is certainly capable for doing what you want, but it would be a long road.

It may be better to look at the .net platform with C# (assuming you use Windows).
Oh man, that might be a better route to go? Yikes, I've actually kinda been avoiding that platform all this time. Don't ask me why, I've no clue . . .

But, would any program I make going that route, be limited only to a Windows OS? I'm wanting this program to be as versatile as I can make it, running on as many machines as possible.
@CodeMonkey; ¿why?

@OP: Why we've deprecated Dev-C++ http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/36896/
I tried starting with code:blocks but kept having issues with the compiler.
¿what kind of issues?

Don't worry so much about the interface. The CRUD is independent of that.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
HisServant77 wrote:
But, would any program I make going that route, be limited only to a Windows OS? I'm wanting this program to be as versatile as I can make it, running on as many machines as possible.
Okay, so I may not be the as good a route now that that little titbit of information is available (its not impossible to run it on a different CLR framework).

But I'm trying to learn this language for the sake of a specific program I am trying to develop that will help me out tons with storing and viewing a very large amount of info (thousands of names, dates, etc.).
For this reason alone I suggested there may be a better route (by better I mean more appropriate/easier/less time consuming way to meat your stated aim). C++, Cross platform framework, etc. seems to be a rather large hammer to to crack a single nut. I'm guessing you feel the same because you asked the question.

ne555 wrote:
@CodeMonkey; ¿why?
Because. I can only expand on this answer when the question becomes more defined.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.