Dynamic array initialization

Hello everyone,

I am working on A Star algorithm and I have run into problem I am not sure how to realize. I am loading map from file of chars, where '*' represents walkable node and ' ' represents non-walkable. I load the map into 2dim char array, dynamically allocated. The loading and parsing works just fine, but I need to return my own object - Map, which is build of 2dim array of Nodes (my own object).

Since I need to dynamically create the 2dim array of Nodes, it would be awesome to intialize them already too, since I know all the information for initialization, but I don't know how. I need to pass them x, y and walkable flag - is this possible during creating the array, or do I really have to create the array first and then loop through it and make some method "setNode(...)" to initialize the nodes again?

Hope that makes any sense.

Thanks in advance.
A small piece of code would be good. But I am following you I think you will have to init each one of the elements of the array as you talked about.
If your Nodes are structs then you will need a loop to initialize values; if they're class objects then your default constructor should explicitly set default values, and you should consider an explicit constructor taking (int,int,bool) arguments or whatever you need.
Use a container.
By instance
std::vector< foo > v;
v.reserve(size);
for(size_t K=0; K<size; ++K)
  v.push_back( foo(args) );
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.