Bjarne Strousup

So I've been looking for a good C++ book to get. I've read through an intro C++ book (Got through the basics of inheritance and polymorphism), and taken 2 C++ classes. One high school, and one college level. Neither one got too far, even the college just barely got out of the basics. Most of what I know is from self teaching and from what I've carried over from Java (main language used at my university). Anywho, I would like to get a good book on C++ for covering a lot of stuff in a good manner. So far, the reviews for Mr. Strousup's book are all good, but I was wondering what you all thought on it, or if you have another good book to recommend. I picked up "Game Coding Complete" by Mike McShaffry because the reviews were good and graphics programming is ultimately my goal, but at the time the book was ahead of me. Then I took a break from C++ because I didn't have the time during classes, but now I'm on break so I would like to get back into researching and practicing it. So, basically, just what do you all think are some good books and do you think Bjarne Strousup's book is worth it.

Thanks,
Biscuit
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
...do you think Bjarne Strousup's book is worth it.

Which book?
Programming -- Principles and Practice using C++
With your background, I would say the C++ Primer (Stanley B. Lippman et al) may be a better choice, Programming -- Principles and Practice using C++ may go over a lot of the same ground you have already covered and not go far enough into new territory.
New territory would definitely be nice. Does C++ Primer go over the STL at all? It seems to be tough finding any books about that.
From the back cover:
This popular tutorial introduction to standard C++ has been completely updated, reorganized, and rewritten to help programmers learn the language faster and use it in a more modern, effective way.

Just as C++ has evolved since the last edition, so has the authors' approach to teaching it. They now introduce the C++ standard library from the beginning, giving readers the means to write useful programs without first having to master every language detail. Highlighting today's best practices, they show how to write programs that are safe, can be built quickly, and yet offer outstanding performance. Examples that take advantage of the library, and explain the features of C++, also show how to make the best use of the language. As in its previous editions, the book's authoritative discussion of fundamental C++ concepts and techniques makes it a valuable resource even for more experienced programmers.

Program Faster and More Effectively with This Rewritten Classic
* Restructured for quicker learning, using the C++ standard library
* Updated to teach the most current programming styles and program design techniques
* Filled with new learning aids that emphasize important points, warn about common pitfalls, suggest good programming practices, and provide general usage tips
* Complete with exercises that reinforce skills learned
* Authoritative and comprehensive in its coverage

-----//-----

The best book I know for STL is :

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
by Nicolai M. Josuttis

This is due to be updated for C++11 (I believe somewhere around April).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.