Infinite feedback from a loop?

Hi there, this is a problem I've been having for a while, but it was never particularly troublesome until now.
I was wondering if there's a way to stop the infinite feedback from a while loop without using a break

For example,

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{
	std::cout << "pick a number\n";
	std::string number;
	std::cin >> number;

while(true)
	if (number == "1")
	{
		std::cout << "your class is 1\n";
		break;
	}
	else if (number == "2")
	{
		std::cout << "your class is 2\n";
		break;
	}
	else
	{
		std::cout << "sorry, try again\n";
	}

std::cout << "thanks for playing\n";
	system("pause");
}

If you give this a quick run and type in a 3, you'll get a continuous string of spam from the else output.
What I'm wondering is if there's a way to go back to the start of the loop?

Thanks in advance
You are going back to the start of the loop, but the value of "number" never changes, because it is set before the loop. Put while(true) before std::cout << "pick a number\n";.

Also, a while should be followed by brackets ({ }) to make sure the entire loop body is executed. Now, only the first statement is evaluated as the loop [but if-else is treated as 'one statement', so you won't notice a difference with the current code. It will mess up your code if you move the while(true) to the start of the main).

Secondly, system() is bad practice: http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/j3wTURfi/
Thirdly, your main should end with return 0;.
Thanks very much for the help. I have a couple of questions though. Firstly, what does return 0 do?
Second, that thread was very useful, thank you for that. However it didn't really explain what to use instead. I'm used to using system() or simply setting break points. I was taught another way but I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank

Again, thanks for the help, especially in such a quick response!
return 0; tells the calling environment that the program exited successfully. For your current projects it probably makes no difference, and I even think modern compilers assume the return 0 by default anyway, but it's still considered good practice.

To avoid system("pause"), you can use a variety of tricks, going from easy to very complicated. Personally, I use breakpoints or a simple piece of code:
std::cout << "Enter any number to quit.\n";
std::cin >> t; // Random variable from the code somewhere.
return 0;

Code-wise, I think that's as easy as it gets. I simply overwrite the value of a random variable (here: 't'). The program is about to end anyway, so I'm not doing any damage.

Last edited on
The reason your code is in an infinite loop is your while statement. While true ... then you have nested if statements. while true means loop, and if 3 cout ......, so you will infinitely cout the statement because its true.

i would remove the while. You have to ask yourself what you want your program to do exactly. Then figure whats the best way to create that.
Thanks again for all the help, Gaminic.

Nickoolsayz, the loop is not infinite as it is broken if number = 1 or 2, however I need it to be a possibly infinite loop in case the player keeps entering a number that is not 1 or 2.
not sure exactly what your trying to but but if you are wanted to go back to start the program again maybe you are looking for:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{

do{
	std::cout << "pick a number\n";
	std::string number;
	std::cin >> number;
        //use -1 as a sentinal value to stop the loop.
	while(true)
	if (number == "1")
	{
		std::cout << "your class is 1\n";
		break;
	}
	else if (number == "2")
	{
		std::cout << "your class is 2\n";
		break;
	}

else if (number == -1)
        {
                 std::cout << "thanks for playing\n";
        }
        else
	{
		std::cout << "sorry, try again\n";
	}
}while (number != -1)
	system("pause");
}

this code will not work since im not sure exactly what your looking to do, but its a basic idea of who to use do while for your block of code.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.