Console games?

Ok, so I've been studying c++ for all about a week (I know I'm a noob :p) from a programming book. I'm on chapter 3 out of 26. I've studied the basic variables (int,double,char) and the preprocessor directives such as iostream and string. If/else, do/while and loops; I've studied other stuff too. Next chapter is something called pointers and arrays.
I can easily make text-based games, but I'm getting bored of it being in the same boring console (command prompt) screen. Will I eventually be able to make my own window to put the game in..? Or am I gonna be in that little black box forever?
In your book, all examples will most likely be console programs.
However, that doesn't force you to stay with the console, you can use a library like SFML.
http://www.sfml-dev.org/
Thanks for the reply... My book made me download Visual Studio 2010 and SFML at the beginning... I just haven't got to use it.
But since we are on this subject will you explain what SFML is and does?
Last edited on
SFML is just a multimedia library. There are many libraries out there you can download. I personally think if you want to get out of the console, check out WinAPI. It can be kinda rough at first, but I think you'll get a better understanding of how the other libraries work
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.