Need to find a good project

Hi I was thinking of a good program to work on that will take me about a month to code.
Program should have the following:
Structures
Functions
Array
File I/O
Loops

Any thing would be appreciated.
It should be a good thing to do.
I would suggest something like a text based "Battle Ship" game. Adding the save option would be just a convenience function tho, but overall it does meet your listed requirements.

Either that or a hybrid tic-tac-toe game.

Good luck!
Cool eh ?

There's another : Game Of Life. I'll give you the full subject.

The mathematician John Horton Conway invented the “Game of Life.” Though not a 
“game” in any traditional sense, it provides interesting behavior that is specified with only a 
few rules. This project asks you to write a program that allows you to specify an initial con-
figuration. The program follows the rules of Life (listed shortly) to show the continuing 
behavior of the configuration.
LIFE is an organism that lives in a discrete, two-dimensional world. While this world is 
actually unlimited, we don’t have that luxury, so we restrict the array to 80 characters wide 
by 22 character positions high. If you have access to a larger screen, by all means use it.
This world is an array with each cell capable of holding one LIFE cell. Generations mark 
the passing of time. Each generation brings births and deaths to the LIFE community. The 
births and deaths follow this set of rules:
1.We define each cell to have eight neighbor cells. The neighbors of a cell are the cells 
directly above, below, to the right, to the left, diagonally above to the right and left, and 
diagonally below, to the right and left.
2.If an occupied cell has zero or one neighbor, it dies of loneliness. If an occupied cell has 
more than three neighbors, it dies of overcrowding.
3.If an empty cell has exactly three occupied neighbor cells, there is a birth of a new cell to 
replace the empty cell.
4.Births and deaths are instantaneous and occur at the changes of generation. A cell dying 
for whatever reason may help cause birth, but a newborn cell cannot resurrect a cell that is 
dying, nor will a cell’s death prevent the death of another, say, by reducing the local popu-
lation.

Examples:        *** becomes  *  then becomes  ***  again, and so on.
Notes: Some configurations grow from relatively small starting configurations. Others move 
across the region. It is recommended that for text output you use a rectangular char array 
with 80 columns and 22 rows to store the LIFE world’s successive generations. Use an * to 
indicate a living cell and use a blank to indicate an empty (or dead) cell. If you have a screen 
with more rows than that, by all means make use of the whole screen.
Suggestions: Look for stable configurations. That is, look for communities that repeat pat-
terns continually. The number of configurations in the repetition is called the period. There 
are configurations that are fixed, that is, that continue without change. A possible project is 
to find such configurations.
Hints: Define a void function named generation that takes the array we call world, an 
80-column by 22-row array of type char, which contains the initial configuration. The 
function scans the array and modifies the cells, marking the cells with births and deaths in 
accord with the rules listed previously. This involves examining each cell in turn and either 

killing the cell, letting it live, or, if the cell is empty, deciding whether a cell should be born. 
There should be a function display that accepts the array world and displays the array on 
the screen. Some sort of time delay is appropriate between calls to generation and dis-
play. To do this, your program should generate and display the next generation when you 
press Return. You are at liberty to automate this, but automation is not necessary for the 
program. 

If you fully upgraded,including set random field,or manually input field,time control etc and even a GUI... I'll help you kill the time and improve.
Last edited on
Game of Life is just awesome.
Wow... This is amazing! I searched it up on Wiki, and its beautiful! Can't wait for my exams to get over to try this out!!! :D
thanks guys. I like the game of life
how do you use structures on it though?
If you 'd viewed the subject I gave , you should 've found a way to run it on console .
Last edited on
And what did you mean by structure ? classes ?

Make a class named Map and have member functions and variables.
you can do management project like library management ,contact management,department sore mangement etc in management project you can use all these features
Structures
Functions
Array
File I/O
Loops
etc....

If you need source code for some of these project free then visit my blog
http://www.codeincodeblock.blogspot.com/
You will get here
@@Dinesh subedi : WOW ! Do you have any similar sites like this ?
Sorry. I dont want my program to be you written lol. My teacher said no to the game of life. It is too small. lol I am making mastermind.
Ooo, MasterMind! Now that was a fun game when I was a kid!. :D I should totally take that idea and make my own version too while on Christmas break.

Good luck with your project. ;)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.