Trading Systems

If you are a daytrader how long would it take to get good enough at c++ to write your own trading system that looks for everything you do before taking a trade.
Depends on the complexity of the system. You could probably do it with some basic knowledge, and some determination.

I don't know what a "trading system" is. Are you moving hobby cards, or cocaine?
Haha sorry I meant a trading system for stocks
It's not just getting the basics of the language, you'll also have to interact with the API of whatever system you're using, plus you'll almost certainly need to access a database, the list of thigs you'll want to do will grow.

So you need to become comfortable and achieve some level of proficiency and learn ot disconver and use 3rd party libraries that can help you along the way.
0.o... The NYSE Auto-trading API is written in C++? :D PLEASE!!! IF THERE IS A GOD YOU WILL TELL ME THAT THIS IS WRITTEN IN C++!!!!
They're typically C or Java. C++ would requires vendor specific bindings.
C is close enough for me. I've done enough work in Win32 and OpenGL to know how to mix and match C and C++. This is a pretty cool discovery.
What does that mean? Do you need to know how to write C to program an autotrader
First of all I don't know if it's written in C, we're only speculating. But IF it is written in C then knowing C++ you can fake your way through it. It won't be pretty and I wouldn't like the idea of it controlling my money, but there is worse software out there.

I wouldn't have it do actual transactions but monitoring, trend predictions and stuff like that would be ok to mess around with. Just remember the big players are using an absurd amount of band width for these automatic transactions so it's not practical to think you'll be out trading them with a T1 connection to your home.
I'll bet learning C++ is trivial compared to designing a neural net heuristics algorithm to correlate a complex real-time system with so many variables. I hope your trading is going well enough for you to afford a few Cray supercomputers as well. 8^)

Bottom line: BIG job... Good luck if you're up for such a challenge!
Neural Nets are AWESOME!!!!! I really really want to design one...
I had a ten to fifteen year time frame haha jk i know what you guys are saying.
Would you really need a Cray computer or better than a regular computer to run one autotrading program if you did know how to write one?
That depends mostley on the volume of trade, and the reaction time it's expected to have.
Would you really need a Cray computer or better than a regular computer to run one autotrading program if you did know how to write one?
No. You're being led down the path of fantasy here.
8^) = Joking.

If you just want to run a basic trend analysis on a few selected stocks with rules that automatically buy & sell you could probably find an iPhone app to do that. If you're talking about competing with the big boys you'll need a lot more hardware. Middle ground is to look into some of the available software that already do what you want. There are even free versions out there.
Or, you could try here: http://www.automatedtradingsoftware.com/

BTW, a Cray CX1 starts at around $2800, dedicated gamers spend more for their rigs.

Honestly, I think that learning C++ and writing such a program would waste time better spent in social networking looking for hot stock tips.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.