recommend a book for programming structure

Hi. I've been learning about C++ (by myself, not in classes) for about 8 months or so now.
I feel I have a decent grasp on all the basics, and some of the intermediate stuff, but I can't really test my skills.

I have yet to run into a technical problem that I couldn't figure out how to code (in my simple personal projects), but whenever I try to move onto bigger and better projects, they all seem to eventually fall apart at the end because I didn't properly plan everything I wanted to do out before I began.

Now, each time I do this I obviously learn about my mistakes, but its a painfully annoying process.
Is there some kind of awesome "coding structure/planning" book out there for newbies or intermediates?

People often suggest I simply look at source code, but a lot of the source code I find is either plagued with plain-C stuff I haven't bothered to learn, or it simply has nothing to do with the kind of projects I'm interested in.

It would be great if there were a nice book that could provide the insight that reviewing helpful source-code would.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
It's weird that nobody answered this. Some people here are quite enthusiastic about suggesting books..
Anyway, there is a book http://www.uml.org.cn/c++/pdf/DesignPatterns.pdf which seems relevant to your problem. I haven't read it myself though, so I wouldn't know whether it is any good.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.