Beginner's Lesson in C++

Pages: 12
After all is said and done, I come to wonder if we actually accomplished the task of helping someone with learning C++. I enjoy conversations of such value but did it help bobtheturtle?

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. Just curious.

Actually I wonder if he's read the thread at all yet.
Last edited on
Hi i turned 13 a few days ago, i learnt c++ when i was 12 too. The best way to learn c++ at a young age is to read up on maths first, a more advanced knowledge of maths can help you solve problems in coding (do not know why, maybe it is just psychological) but you dont have to learn quadratics or anything. Use youtube tutorials, books can be a bit hardgoing. Definetely download Microdoft Visual C++ 2010 express.
STLreliant wrote:
Hi i turned 13 a few days ago, i learnt c++ when i was 12 too.

You mean you started to learn c++ a year ago and you are still learning - because I don't believe you learnt C++ in just one year
a more advanced knowledge of maths can help you solve problems in coding (do not know why, maybe it is just psychological)

Because they're different ways of expressing identical concepts (and now and then, they're identical ways of expressing identical concepts).

In more general terms, mathematics demands that you understand what you're doing, and that you are able to express it in precise, unambiguous terms. Coding demands the same.
Last edited on
Yeah, by learnt i meant the basics like ints and strings, the more basic STL containers and other things like that. The fundementals would be a better way of putting it. Will still be learning c++ for a while (pretty much for the my coding life - can you ever stop learning c++? there is always something else to learn or improve on) My name is only STLreliant because of my excessive use of vectors.

I apologise for ommiting that from my post.

Last edited on
a more advanced knowledge of maths can help you solve problems in coding (do not know why, maybe it is just psychological)

Because they're different ways of expressing identical concepts (and now and then, they're identical ways of expressing identical concepts).

In more general terms, mathematics demands that you understand what you're doing, and that you are able to express it in precise, unambiguous terms. Coding demands the same.

That explains it. Thanks mate.

I agree with G Rex 2595, we may have not really helped bobtheturtle much.
Last edited on
I agree with G Rex 2595, we may have not really helped bobtheturtle much.

Well, I want to learn C++ is such a vague question that all we can really do is wish them good luck and point them at a beginner's tutorial.

At least BobTheTurtle didn't start screaming because they didn't become Petzold overnight, like Spoonlicker used to.
Last edited on
Well, I want to learn C++ is such a vague question that all we can really do is wish them good luck and point them at a beginner's tutorial.At least BobTheTurtle didn't start screaming because they didn't become Petzold overnight

That is true, atleast he knows how he can start programming in c++, i'm sure after that his questions will be more precise, you canot really blame him - he canot ask a question if he knows practically nothing about the subject. Good luck in C++ bobtheturtle.
Last edited on
In regards to actually having helped bobtheturtle; they didn't ask a question so we really had nothing to answer. They didn't ever make a follow up on this thread so I can imagine they realised that it was kind of a silly thing to post.

I like to think of it this way. When someone makes a post like that which isn't directed at answering a specific question they are either looking for guidence, which I believe we provided, or else they are "testing the waters" to see if this forum is going to be helpful and welcoming which we are.

Just read what you guys wrote. Some of you may not even realise it but you've not only provided them a place to start but some of you have even posted on personal experiance regarding the subject of studying C++ at a young age which I'm sure will boost the OP's confidence a great deal. Maybe I'm just in an optimistic mood, but I think we helped bobtheturtle even more then they expected.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12