Understanding C++'Variants'

First of all... Hello :) I'm new to the forum but looking around, this looks like a helpful friendly place! nI really could do with some help understanding what I'm referring to as C++ variants (but my terminology is probably incorrect).

I'm not a complete programming novice. I have had low level coding experience with PLC/SCADA as well as higher level coding experience with basic C++ (at uni) and VBA and have produced may working pieces of software for different applications. I have just started working on a C++ project at work and despite a lot of reading (books, internet) I seem to be confused by C++ as a whole.

At uni, C++ was just C++. But now I read/hear people talk about Borland C++, Visual C++, .Net (CLR?). Additionally, when researching my project I am reading about implementations using MFC, the Windows API amongst others. I just feel confused as to what everything is and how it fits together. I would really appreciate if someone could sum things up for me?

For my task I will be using Visual C++ to write the code. I thought this was just the coding platform/compiler, but after reading about Borland C++ I wondered if they are slightly different variants of C++?

I would also really appreciate any advice on coding for a TCP socket and sending data down it to another device as well as creating a user interface to connect to the device and get/send data. I'm not sure where to start.

Apologies for a really general question. Hopefully someone will be able to help me out!
Borland C++/Visual C++ (VC++) are actually IDEs. The only differences are the non-standard extensions that you probably shouldn't be using anyway (VC++ has an option to disable them anyway). .Net is not really C++; IIRC it is a framework used with MS's C++/CLI language (also different from C++).

As for sockets, you seem to be on Windows so you can either WinSock or something else like boost::asio.
Cool. Thanks for your reply :) Very much appreciated!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.