putting a vector of ints into a string

Hi,
I'm trying to take a vector of type int (vector<int> val;) and concatenate/stick it all into a string, so the string is a list of ints, this is what i've done:

string intclass::strg() const{
	string s;
	for (int i = 1; i <= val.size(); ++i)
	s += val[i];
	return s;
	}

as a member function of a class (I should point out that this is all in a class, and vector<int> val; is a private member of the class).
when I run this in the larger program it runs, though nothing returns from this function.
any help or direction will be more than welcome, i realize I've probably done something stupid though I can't figure out what it is. this is for a school assignment, so the scenario is fairly inflexible.
thanks in advance for any responses.

afrg
for (int i = 0; i < val.size(); ++i)

Notice that a string is a container of chars, so your ints will be read as if they were chars.
Last edited on
thanks for point out that i should be < not <= the size of the vector, as we're counting up from 0 with the sqare brackets. Yes, I've noticed that my ints all come out as their ASCII counterparts. this is another problem for me to fix.
thanks for your quick replies.
I think std::ostringstream() is a good way to do this:
#include <sstream>

std::ostringstream oss;

oss << 3 << 5 << 9; // put integers into the stream

std::string str = oss.str(); // extract the string from the stream

std::cout << str << '\n'; // now the ints are in the string. 
Last edited on
thanks, i'll try that. though I figured there should be a more simple mechanism to to this? (or not! as the case may be).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.