overloading ++ operators

Hi, I am learning about overloading the ++ operators, and I believe I have the concept understood. But there is a slight problem I am having. I dont understand how the compiler knows the difference between the post and prefix.

I have overloaded both post and prefix. And my book is saying if I call, for instance, a++ , then operator++(int) would be called, but if i call ++a, then operator++, would then be called. But I dont see how the compiler is able to know what one I am wanting to call. Is that something that is just apart of c++, or is it something i am failing to see?
It's just a convention. The C++ language states that the postfix increment operator is implemented with an unused int parameter to differentiate it from the prefix.
But I dont see how the compiler is able to know what one I am wanting to call.

it knows by whether it is ++a or a++ ...

I am not sure what you would need to DO in a class to require having two different versions of ++ for it to work. To me, and in every class I ever did, ++ would just be the same regardless and all that changes is when it is called (via the a++ vs ++a ) which the compiler unravels as it does its thing. But there must be some pattern where distinct versions are needed for some reason, and the language allows it.
post-increment is operator++(int), pre-increment is operator++().

Depending upon the type to which it is applied, there can be considerable performance issues between the two.

The easiest is pre-increment. Take the current value, add 1, save the new value and return the new value - whatever add 1 means in the context of the type.

post-increment means take a copy of the current value, add 1, save the new value and return the value of the copy. Depending upon the type, doing a copy could be significant.

That's why, if there is a choice, pre-increment should always be chosen. It doesn't really matter for a type such as an int, but for custom class it could be - depending upon copy constructor.

Also note that pre-increment should return a ref, whereas post-increment has to return a value.

eg for a simple class where data is a member variable of say type int:

SomeValue& SomeValue::operator++() // prefix
{
    ++data;
    return *this;
}

SomeValue SomeValue::operator++(int) // postfix
{
    SomeValue result = *this;
    ++data;
    return result;
}