Unable to understand the logic behind nested for loop- now with 3 loops

Hi..
I still do not understand the logic behind the nested loop..

I was trying to come up with a program that would display this.

5 4
5 4 3
5 4 3 2
5 4 3 2 1

But I just could not get it.. i gave up and just found the solution

int main()
{
	//int n;
	float sum=0,term=1;

for (int i=5; i != 0; i--)
	{
		for(int j=5; j>=i; j--)
		{
			cout << j << '\t';
		}
	cout << endl;
	}
return 0;
}

the thing is..I still don't understand..I can't seem to get it..

can someone explain..I need to understand the logic..for loop is so fundamental.in C++..
please
Last edited on
Do you understand what a single loop does? Well a nested loop does the inner loop as many times as the outer loop, loops.

In your example i takes on the value 5. Then the inner loop makes the variable j go from 5 to i(which changes with each outer loop).

So j will loop multiple times. First when i = 5, next when i = 4, next when i = 3 etc...
Kind of..

something like this..

when i = 5 @ the outer loop
the inner loop is executed..

so ..the value j is initialised to 5 and 5 is also more than or equals to i which at the outer loop is now 5..

so it prints 5..and because after j--...it becomes 4..it is ignored...it goes to the outer loop...
and now i becomes 4...

again..the inner loop is activated..and now..it prints 5 ..and then..after j--...4 is also less than or equal to i..it prints 4

but.. i think..it depends on the question type..I really have to look out for nested problem questions..exercises makes it perfect..thanks again
If you'd like another nested loop problem, perhaps try this one:

Let's say we have a square matrix M of dimension 3.

[2][1][3]
[6][1][4]
[7][2][1]

The values of each element in the array are arbitrary.

Task: Write a function that will...
* take a pointer parameter m of type int, where m points to a 2D integer array (which represents our square matrix like M)
* calculate the transpose of m (hint: can be done with nested loops)
* persist the result in the location pointed to by m (that is, after the function is finished executing, m will point to the transposed matrix, not the original matrix)
hi sammy

thanks..but the thing is..I have not covered functions and array yet..just about too...will get back to this question..once i am ok with array and function.
hi again..

I think I am fine with 2 level of nested loop for now...
can someone guide me on how to do..3 level of nested loops

I have got this exercise..that I saw in a book, can someone just describe the logic

1  for ( int i = 1; i <= 5; i++ )
 2  {
 3     for ( int j = 1; j <= 3; j++ )
 4     {
 5        for ( int k = 1; k <= 4 ; k++ )
 6           cout << '*';
 8        cout << endl;
 9     } // end inner for
11     cout << endl;
12  } // end outer for

I know how the last loop, k works..I know it should print ****..but how does it loop to the outer loop, whichone goes first
Last edited on
It works exactly the same as with two loops.

The each inner loop completes once for every iteration of its outer loop.
thanx guys that code given above by kalp1200 worked me out practically from my difficulty thanx dude!!(kalp1200);
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.