Hi! So I have a code like this:

class Farm
{
public:
	Farm();
	~Farm();

Object farmObj;
};

Where Object is a custom data type that holds various other custom data types. All this is good and all until I discovered my calling procedure looks something like this:

Farm farm;
farm.farmObj.shader.Bind();
farm.farmObj.transform.position = Vector3D(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
farm.farmObj.Draw();

So basically, I don't like how I'm having to say farm.farmObj to access all these other elements. Any efficient way I can immediately access the object type through the identifier's name like so: farm.shader.Bind()?

Thanks!
Last edited on
you can hide farmobj. (by the way calling some class "object" is terribly unhelpful, on par with int "variable").

you could, for example, inherit object instead of has-a, which lets you say farm.Draw() directly. Is that worth doing, or do you need a has-a for some reason?
I usually do this:
Farm farm;
Object &obj(Farm.farmObj);
obj.shader.Bind();
obj.transform.position = Vector3D(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
obj.Draw();

In this case there is zero overhead to creating the reference. The compiler doesn't even need to create a pointer to implement the reference - it is a synonym for Farm.farmObj and the compiler knows where it's located relative to the top of stack.

Another possibility is to create some inline functions and/or references:
class Farm
{
public:
	Farm();
	~Farm();

Object farmObj;
	void Bind() {farmObj.Bind(); }
	Position &position(farmObj.transform.position);
	void Draw() {farmObj.Draw(); }
};
Farm farm;
farm.Bind();
farm.position = Vector3D(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
farm.Draw();
};
Thanks for the feedback guys! Jonnin's reply had me thinking for a bit and I ended up inheriting from class Object instead. However, I'm not entirely sure whether I'm happy with it because I'm not a big fan of inheritance, but in this case inheritance seems to be fitting. dhayden's lValue reference and inline functions works out nicely as well so I think in the future I will consider all those options when I run into a problem like this one. Thanks! ^^
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.