Conversion to String - C++ Forms App

I am trying to program a game in a standard windows forms application in C++. I am having trouble which obviously wasn't an issue in VB. Basically it is a version of the countdown numbers game, and part of it is a random number is generated.

My problem is getting the textbox to show the random number as it will not convert to string. So far I have.

private: System::Void button1_Click(System::Object^ sender, System::EventArgs^ e) {

int target;

target=rnd();
textBox1->Text=target;

}

I won't even get to random seeding until I sort this problem out.

I tried things like ToString and so on, all to no avail.
You must first do this:
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/numb_to_text/

NOTE: MAKE SURE TO USE WIDE THINGS BECAUSE WINDOWS FORMS WANTS WIDE CHARACTERS

Then, once you have an std::wstring, you can do this to convert it to a CLI string:
String ^systemstring = gcnew String(your_wstring.c_str());

FYI: I think you can delete your post/topic as long as no one has replied to it.
Last edited on
Thanks for those links. Unfortunately none worked. Perhaps I should have said I am using Visual C++ Express 2008. The VB equlivalent would be textbox1.text=str(number) (number already declared and either valued or calculated). Obviously Dev C++ and equivalent in Visual is easy, but actually doing forms in C++ really complicates things.
Hm, this I the code I have recently used (tested and it works):

template <typename T>
std::wstring toWString(const T& t) { //conversion to wstring
	std::wstringstream str;
	str<<t;
	return str.str();
}

System::String^ WStringToSysString(const std::wstring str){
	return gcnew System::String(str.c_str());
}

And I used them like so:

int my_int = 0;
System::String^ str = WStringToSysString(toWString(my_int));

Does this work?
Last edited on
Does this go in the button code or somewhere in the source code files, or does it not matter?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.