need help interpreting error message

Microsoft must have held an internal contest to see how difficult they could make an error message to decipher.

I'm getting this message, and it's not helpful. I can't tell exactly what item is the problem, and I did a few things before I compiled, and it's not highlighting the culprit by jumping to the line. I added line breaks to make this fit on the page. Not sure if I broke it in the right places.

The error message disappears when I comment out the call to words_to_vector in the constructor. However, I made not changes to that particular routine. I did mess around with some structure or variable references, but can't tune down to what exact change I made.

Any help appreciated. Thanks http://www.cplusplus.com
Last edited on
¿where's the code?
¿where's the error message?

> I added line breaks to make this fit on the page.
> Not sure if I broke it in the right places.
then don't do it
I did mess around with some structure or variable references, but can't tune down to what exact change I made.

Ah, a learning opportunity. Next time you mess with something that was working, you will make a backup, right? Then you can do a windiff or similar program on it to see what is different between the two versions if you break it.

As it is, without any code, error message, or useful information, we can't help you too much here... got anything we can look at??
Hello Daveburton,

One thing I have found with the VS error messages as with other compilers is that sometimes the line number of the error message is not always where the error is. Sometimes it could be the line above or several lines above.

Other times the error message is so hard to understand it just takes time to get familiar with what it is.

As jonnin said without the code and your error message no one reading this thread has any idea what is going on.

Here is a hint for you:

If "Error List" is not a tab somewhere along the IDE's edge you can go to "view -> Error List" in the menu choices.

In the "Error List" if you double click in the "Description" area for an error it will go to that line where it believes the error is. If you give a single click on the number under the code heading it will open a browser to a page where Microsoft will try to explain what the error is. Most times it is helpful, but sometimes you are left scratching your head wondering what it meant.

Like writing code time and experience will help with the error messages.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.