Problem with circular dependicies

Hello guys.I am trying to resolve one problem but i can'n.I have two classes:
class FileSystemElement and class Folder.Class FileSystemElement contains a pointer to a Folder(*Folder) and Folder contains array of FileSystemElement pointers.And also Folder is inherited from FileSystemElement,but it can't see it as a base class.I tried to put in one header file both headers but it didn't resolve a problem.

FileSystemElement.h
 #pragma once
#include<string>
#include"Folder.h"
class Folder;

class FileSystemElement
{protected:
	char *ime;
	char *ekstenzija;
	Folder *p;
public:
	FileSystemElement() :p(nullptr), ime(nullptr), ekstenzija(nullptr){}
		FileSystemElement(char * ime,char *ekstenzija);
	void Set_folder();
	virtual ~FileSystemElement();
	virtual char * Vrati() = 0;
	virtual void PrintList() = 0;

};

Folder.h
#pragma once 
#include<iostream>
#include"FileSystemElement.h"
class FileSystemElement;

using namespace std;

class Folder:public FileSystemElement
{
private:
	FileSystemElement **m;
public:
	Folder() :FileSystemElement()
	{
		m = new FileSystemElement*[2018];
		for (int i = 0; i < 2018; i++)
			m[i] = nullptr;
	}
	virtual ~Folder();
	virtual char *Vrati();
	virtual void PrintList();

};

2 Errors in Folder.h
FileSystemElement not base of Folder or a member
Last edited on
In folder.h, there is no point in forward declaring your FileSystemElement class if you include the file which contains its definition.

You're doing the same with a forward declaration of the Folder class in your FileSystemElement.h file.

Try removing the include in your FileSytstemElement file, and the forward declaration in your folder file
Thanks for your reply.
Did it fix your issue?
Yes,it has.It helped me fix some other stuff that didn't work.Thanks once more.
Cool. No worries, glad to have been of any help!
Short answer: in FileSystemElement.h, move #include "Folder.h" to the end of the file.

To see why this is isn't working, consider what happens when your program contains #include "FileSystemElement.h" :

- The preprocessor runs and sees #include "FileSystemElement.h"
- It starts processing FileSystemElement.h. At line 3 it's told to process "Folder.h"
- At line 3 of Folder.h, it's told to parse FileSystemElement.h" again. But [u]because FileSystemElement.h contains #pragma once and because you already started processing it,
that file is skipped.
- Moving along in Folder.h, it sees the forward declaration to FileSystemElement, but when you say that Folder is a public FileSystemElement, it doesn't know how big FileSystemElement is, so it generates an error.

By moving the #include "Folder.h" to the end of FileSystemElement.h, you ensure that FileSystemElement is defined by the time you declare Folder.
Damn, moving an include to the end of a file tickles my OCD so much, I don't know if I'd ever be able to do that...
Thanks for the answer,I would never come up to that solution.
moving an include to the end of a file tickles my OCD
I hear ya. The other possibility is to remove the #include "Folder.h" from FileSystemElement.h and require the pogrammer to include Folder.h themselves, but that's messy too.

Dave
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.