Dev C++

Good evening, CPP-Forums:
Since this I my first post, I might as well introduce myself. My name is Rasheed Saeed. I Am 14 years of age and I know some computer languages/MARKUP languages.

HTML
(x)HTML
SQL
CSS

I Am new to C++. I am hoping to learn C++ for a future job in Nintendo, creating Pokemon games.

I Have a program called Dev C++. I Am in need of help of how to show the results of the program I have entered. Just basic Input/Output/Variables. It would be very helpful if someone could show me how to does this through TV(Team Viewer) or type it up here.

Thanks, for reading
Rasheed Saeed (Renkia)
there are several good tutorials out there(including the one on this site) have you tried to go through any of them yet?
As far as I can tell, Pokemon is coded in C not C++.
That's pretty much the standard for Gameboy games and I don't think it changed with the DS.
If you still want to learn C++ over C, I welcome you to the C++ community.
Now, to fix a lot of problems here. The first being that Dev-C++ is archaic.
The last release was 5 years ago, I highly recommend getting Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express as it is much better and is also free. Next, you'll need a place to start. For that, the tutorials on this site are amazing and provide a very detailed explanation of how things work. First trying reading that, and it'll get you off your feet. Now, if you want to just learn C, you can just learn the basics of it then sidestep a lot of it and skip right to developing your own Pokemon ROMs. You can learn about all of that at http://www.loirak.com/gameboy/gbprog.php.
Welcome to the forum of insane geeks who are the greatest and most humble geeks in the world.

In case you don't know anything about C++ or want to know more:
http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

You will also want a standard library reference. Here's a good one:
http://cplusplus.com/reference/

As for use of Dev C++, I'll leave that to someone who actually uses it. :)

EDIT: Although I would use some other IDE, like the above-mentioned Visual C++ 2010 Express.
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/

-Albatross
Last edited on
Hi, Rasheed. I'll admit I didn't come here to give advice. I'm just a beginner myself. However, Dev C++ was the first thing I used. And it is a nice and lite gui for C and C++. I was hoping to get into the heart of the gui someday and customize it, but unfortunately it's written in a language called Delphi and I'll probably never know that so well. So, anyway, maybe you should post some code that you're trying to compile so people can be sure it is compilable before you try to build your project. Which is what you need to do. Make sure you set up a C++ project, as should be shown in the available tutorial under the help menu. In the future you should definitely look over that thoroughly before posting to the forum. That's all I can say for now. Bye.
Dev may be older but i still use it. its good when just staring out but now that i have gone through all the basics i have gotten visual c++(not used to it yet). its really up to you
I've personally never used it, but last updated 5 years ago throws up a red flag in my mind. Although in all actuality, C++ was technically last updated in 2003, so it shouldn't make a huge difference. But it's still probably best to use Visual Studio/C++ since it's more up to date and has tons of features. Code refactoring, anyone?
It does make a huge difference. That version of MinGW has bugs up the bum.

I Thank you all for replying.

@ Mucygni:
Delphi Is an OK language. The only problem is the lag from it. =/ Thanks, for writing that up for me. =)

@ Albratross:
Yes, aren't we all. =D
Thanks for the links. =)

@ Elve:
Thanks for the information. I Didn't know pokemon game were meant in C. You have saved my a lot of time & my future. I Have tried to download MS Visual C++, but un-able to.

There's no way to individually update MinGW? Or is it just god awfully difficult?
Replacing the compiler was the reason I thought about trying to get into customizing the gui too. There is a way to redirect the compilation process without getting into the source but I just don't know it. And it would bug me to still have the old one sitting in there. So I fantasized about it a little, looked into learning Delphi, and then thought otherwise. The end.
There's no way to individually update MinGW? Or is it just god awfully difficult?
It's more effort than it's worth, considering there are better IDEs that have been updated in the past five years.
Ah. On that note, is it just me or is it really difficult to install MinGW individually?
It gave me so much trouble when I tried, though I don't remember why I was trying.

elvenspike:
Would this help me programming on the DS? Nintendo DS? not just the gameboy advanced feature on the Laptop.
This thing's still going on. Great for you, Rasheed. Hopefully you get all you need out of it. Hey, I'm still writing from the point of view of an absolute beginner wannabe but I gotta say something about MinGW because it is a good compiler. So it seems, that is. No matter what ide you're using, though not for VC++, whether it's Dev or Netbeans or Codeblocks or Eclipse or just the console, MinGW is definitely worth including. More than one option is always a good idea. (Just my opinion.) Installation and configuration isn't quite as easy as VC or Dev but if you wanna do it you can certainly figure it out. Here's all the info you need:

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started

Download and install the latest MinGW binary and the latest MSYS binary. And install them both at the root in separate directories. That page should give you all the info you need about path configuration. And the ide you use should as well. As for Game Programming it definitely can't hurt because GNU supposedly adheres more strictly to the standard. For a stupid little example, you always have to add a line after the last brace. VC don't seem to care about that. So use them both. That's all.
Last edited on

Thank you for writing that up for me mate. You have explained a lot through that. =)
I Will have a look at the MinGW, see how it works and that.

Thanks for all the post people!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.