Virtual Machines question?

I am new to programming and just finished year 1 at uni studying computer science. My question is a bit of a noob one. Can anyone recommend should I use a virtual machine for programming in future or is it wise not to?
If you want, let's say, make programs for mobile phones, it's quite common to set up an environment that replicates for example an Android system on your desktop.
A program under development usually needs to be tested extensively, and copying it into a real phone after every tweaking session would be exhausting, I suppose.

Sorry, did I misunderstood your question?
Basically I found that in my first year of uni my OS has corrupted twice which has not happened before. The only thing I think it could be is using the huge dev software packaged such as virtual studio etc. and the fact i am a learning programmer makes me wonder if virtual machines may be a better way to go.
vms are nice when used for some things, as noted testing is a good one.. but they make you go thru at least 2 OS (real os and virtual one) and are sluggish because of it. They protect you from damage to a real machine, if you need that, for example if your code deletes files and you mess that up...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.