sorting within the loops

im pretty new to programming an this solution has me stumped...the program generates 15 random numbers(between 0 and 999) and is supposed to display them in sorted order(ascending), i know it works, i just don't know HOW it displays the values in sorted order using the 2 nested loops, heres the main function:

int main()
{
const int NUM_VALS = 15;
int values[NUM_VALS];
int current;

srand(time(0));
for (int i = 0; i < NUM_VALS; i++)
{
nextVal = rand() % 1000;
current = 0;
while (current < i && nextVal >= values[current]) //heres where im lost
current++;
for( int j = i; j > current; j--)
values[j] = values[j-1];
values[current] = nextVal;
}

//etc from here on it just displays the values

Please help, thanks.
Added comments to the code :-)
for (int i = 0; i < NUM_VALS; i++)
{
   nextVal = rand() % 1000;                          //Generate the next number
   current = 0;                                      //Assume it should be at position 0
   while (current < i && nextVal >= values[current]) //If it is greater than the value at current position 
      current++;                                     //move to the next position
   for( int j = i; j > current; j--)                 //Move all the numbers above it up
       values[j] = values[j-1];                      //by 1 to make space
   values[current] = nextVal;                        //insert at the position found for it.
}

Where you have a short piece of code like this, and want to figure out how it works then pencil & paper can be a good tool.
You can simplify it to just 5 numbers, for example, and use the birthday of a few friends as a way to get some 'random' numbers.
If you work through how the code will handle that it should make understanding it easier.
Thanks, youve helped me out before a while back
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.