Is c++ primer fifth edition still relevant?

I'd like to learn c++ and I've seen a lot of recommendations for this book. However, I noticed that it's written for c++11, my question is, is this book still helpful considering the release of c++14 and the upcoming c++17?
The basics of C++ have not changed drastically (if at all) b/w +11 and +14 and are not expected to change b/w now and +17 – so for the basics you should be pretty well served with this book.
For ongoing C++ developments (+14 / +17 / +2x at some point I presume?) you'd be better off keeping a tab on-line because these often things progress too fast to be captured by the text-book development process. Googling 'what's new in C++14/C++17' etc might help as should http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/212463/
C++11 was probably more of a transformational version vis-a-vis its predecessors so if you can master that well you'd be prepared to pick-up the nuances of the later releases
So C++17 won't be a major change? Also, was C++11 a major change when compared to the version preceding it?
There are a few things in that trickled in C++14 and C++17 that may be useful to bring up in a textbook (std::make_unique, std::optional, std::string_view, std::variant, std::pair p = {1,2};, auto [a,b] = g();, auto f() { return 1; }, std::to_chars/std::from_chars, the filesystem library) but none of that changes the material anywhere as much as C++11 did. When ranges and modules become part of standard C++, then we'll definitely need new textbooks
In your opinion, should I still learn from C++ Primer or is there some other book that would be better suited?
In my opinion, for what it's worth, C++ Primer is good enough for you to get started with. Thereafter, if you have genuine interest and aptitude, you'll pick up latest developments on your own steam. The main thing is to jump into the pool and start paddling, so go for it and good luck!
Are there other books you would suggest? The "good enough" portion of your post makes me feel uneasy LOL.
I would add Concurrency in Action because Primer doesn't deal with concurrency much (at all?) and the Effective/Exceptional series.. but only as add-ons afterwards. Just follow the StackOverflow guide http://stackoverflow.com/a/388282
"Effective C++ (Scott Meyers) This was written with the aim of being the best second book C++ programmers should read, and it succeeded. Earlier editions were aimed at programmers coming from C, the third edition changes this and targets programmers coming from languages like Java. It presents ~50 easy-to-remember rules of thumb along with their rationale in a very accessible (and enjoyable) style. For C++11 and C++14 the examples and a few issues are outdated and Effective Modern C++ should be preferred."

What was he referring to being the best book?
For C++11 and C++14 the examples and a few issues are outdated and Effective Modern C++ should be preferred."
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.