Overloading bool function

I keep having trouble trying to overload the boolean function. I cannot figure out the syntax. Below is what I currently have. What I want it to do is receive a variable from an Integer class that I made then return false if its 0 and true in all other cases. I have read online to use overload operator bool()but I wasn't able to figure out how and have tried using variations of the code below. I am not sure how to receive the Integer and also if anything needs to be returned in the header. The syntax appears to be very different that the other operators (<, ==. etc ) that I have succesfully overloaded.

Integer::operator bool() const {
 if ( num == '0') {
  return false;
 } else {
  return true;
 }
}

My other operators have used this syntax
bool operator!= (const Integer int1, const Integer int2) {
  //stuff
}
Last edited on
bool is a type, not a function that I am aware of.
what exactly is bool() supposed to be? Ive missed a few things the last few years, but this seems odd.

it looks like you are trying to overload an older style cast (bool)(x), almost?

Below is part of checker code for the overloaded bool which I am trying to create. From my understanding there is a bool function which will return true or false. I am just very confused in general.

void testbool(string s)  {
  std::cout << ((s) ? s + " is true" : s + " is false")  << '\n';
}

int main() {
  string s[] = {"2", "0", "-3", "100", "-0"};

for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++)
    testbool(s[i]);

std::ostream&   operator<<(std::ostream& out , const Integer& one) {
  out << one.num;
  return out;
}

std::istream&   operator>>(std::istream& in , Integer& one) {
  in >> one.num;
  return in;
}

}

This link is the closest thing I could find that was relevant, and is what I am trying to do http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5829487/how-do-i-override-the-bool-operator-in-a-c-class
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.