Games Programming

i'm aware that C++ is able to make games, however is it true that most big online rpg games like World of Warcraft (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com) and MapleStory (http://www.maplestory.com) can be written in C++?

(anyway i'm not sure if this is possible but it would be cool if someone could tell me which language WOW and MapleStory is written in)
probably c++ because of it's performance.
Most AAA games are written in either C, C++ or both. This is due to the immense performance that can be achieved with the language as well as the vast API support available.

World of Warcraft is written in C/C++ with Lua used for scripting. The game utilizes OpenGL/AL for graphics and audio. The game implements a proprietary database on the backend... probably written in C++ as well.

I'm not sure on Maple Story... never played it, but if it runs in a browser it's probably Java based, otherwise it's safe to say it's written in C or C++.
dont forget assembler... since its faster... many routines in games are written in assembler, too... epsecially the ressource-intense ones...
I would beg to differ on that.
I expect to know the right answer...
Incubbus wrote:
dont forget assembler... since its faster... many routines in games are written in assembler, too... epsecially the ressource-intense ones...

Sometimes assembly is used to further optimize a game, but not always. In the past 2 years I've only seen a few game programming job postings that even mentioned assembly simply because the graphics APIs are already optimized and the jobs were specialized to OpenGL.

if C/ C++ is the top language for games programming, are there any languages that may tie with it at top place, or even make it to second in the list?
For AAA games, no there is no competition with C++. For Indie Game development C# is on the rise thanks to XNA studio, but I don't forsee it knocking C++ from the top.
Lol, I have a friend who opted to learn C# as his first OOP language so that he could make games with the XNA studio. I told him he should of learned c first, instead of basic, then c++ instead of C#, though I heard something about a porting of the OpenGL libraries to C# code last christmas, I doubt very much it's gotten far.

sorry i'm not very good wiht these terms but what's a AAA game / Indie Game?
Seraphimsan wrote:
Lol, I have a friend who opted to learn C# as his first OOP language so that he could make games with the XNA studio. I told him he should of learned c first, instead of basic, then c++ instead of C#, though I heard something about a porting of the OpenGL libraries to C# code last christmas, I doubt very much it's gotten far.

C# is a great language to learn for business application development. It also has found its use in the game programming world through Game Tools development. It's simply much easier to develop GUI driven tools in C# than C++. They also tend to develop tools in C++.net as well. I think the C# porting of OpenGL you are refering to is the Tao Framework which provides bindings for OpenGL, SDL, and some other libraries.

pacerier wrote:
sorry i'm not very good wiht these terms but what's a AAA game / Indie Game?

Sorry, AAA games refer to multi million dollar productions. Think World of Warcraft, Halo, etc...
Indie (Independent Video Game Development) Games are games developed without any financial support from a publisher, venture capitalist, investor, etc... These are games developed out of garages or by scattered teams online (see gamedev.net for indie development teams). Many of the big game companies were once indie developers.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.