Inquiry on Editing File Details via C++

Hello,

A preface to detail my experience level:
I took an intro to C++ programming course for engineers in university two years go, I have basic understanding about the structure of a C++ program such as libraries, declarations, boolean expressions, loops, functions, basic file io; I am not too well versed in topics beyond that if not introduced or if under-practiced, but I pick up quickly with enough resources.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Under the "sort by" for Windows folders, there are other options such as "#" and "tags".

I would like to write a C++ program that can access a file's details (i.e. Name, Date Created, Date Written and etc.) and WRITE/ADD into the "#" or "tags" lines, then save it.

The point is to be able to sort files by "#" or "tags" afterwards. I do not want to add a number or phrase into the file name because other programs depend on the file's name as reference, i.e. change a file name, break the reference.

What are the libraries, extra expressions and underlying understanding (i.e. resources) that can help me achieve this end?

I am sorry, my terminology in C++ is also rusty. Thank you very much for your attention.
Last edited on
Hi,
Well, best place is at the point where you realise this isn't a homework site and showing us where you are having problems etc with work you have put in. Cut and paste the assignment doesn't count.

Everybody here is glad to help when you get off the starting blocks :)
@closed account 5a8Ym39o6
why do you think this is a homework question ?

@OState
To get the file attributes you can use GetFileAttributes
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364944(v=vs.85).aspx
> Why do you think this is a homework question?
Simple. I looked at this thread for split second and immediately realised that this is a homework question.

And it is my answer : )
Dear closed account,

I graduated on the Summer of 2015 and I intend to use the knowledge write a small program to enable file sorting outside of filenames that will mess with CAD program references. I like your enthusiasm, but please refrain any accusative language or jumping to conclusion before inquiry, I take pride in scholastic integrity.

Best.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas,

Thank you, I shall look into it. There should be enough resources on that site alone to keep me busy.

Best.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.