Having trouble with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

I downloaded MS Visual Studio 2010 a few days ago and I just made a test project named Test. I created a c++ source file in there and I'm trying to compile a basic program so I can figure out if Microsoft Visual Studio is all set up correctly.There is no syntax error in the code so it's a waste of time showing it, but the error I'm getting is:

Unable to start program 'c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Test\Debug\Test.exe'

The system cannot find the file specified.

Why is this happening? Please help me out, I'm ordering an OpenGL book soon and I need everything working in order to use it.
Last edited on
misread the post <DELETE>
Last edited on
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/7cc20a51-aa95-44e9-87b8-fc5743a8237f

Whenever you get an error you don't understand, Google it first. It's very likely someone has gotten the error before.
I tried that out, but the problem is that the test.exe truly does not exist. I'm not sure why one is not being created when I compile my program but that's the reason why it's not working. Any ideas why my compiler is not creating a Test.exe where there should be one?

edit - hey guys I apologize for wasting your time, it appears I just found out that when a source file is created, it is not immediately attached to the project file that was active when the source file was created. Problem solved.
Last edited on
its probably is saved as a project file 'Test .vcproj' and possibly 'Test.cpp' if you were able to debug it. it needs to be compiled into the .exe format
Last edited on
Nah I have it figured out, but thanks betty and helios.
I have the same problem. It says it's unable to start program and it can't find the file specified. You said it isn't immediately attached, but how did you attach it to make it run properly, Warrior? Please Help!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.