Self teaching C++ for big data

Hello all,

I recently began a job in biotech/healthcare that has ended up requiring a lot of competence in mining large amounts of data. I've taken a figure-it-out-as-I-go approach thus far, but since that's been quite limiting I've decided try and give myself a solid education in scientific programming. I figured I'd use C++, as I have some background (below) and so far it seems quite applicable to data management.

I have one college semester's worth of scientific programming using C++--essentially I've worked through all of Walter Savitch's introductory book. I'm considering working through Malik's Data Structures on my own, but I'd like to get a more diverse opinion first.

So in short, I hope to learn C++ with a focus on managing big data, text mining, and predictive analytics. I know there are a few beginner guides out there, but since my goals are somewhat specific I wanted to see if anyone had some narrower advice on where to go from here. Should I work through Malik's book, or look elsewhere? Thanks in advance!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.