Questions about getting started...

For years, I have wanted to learn C++, but never took the time. I found this site a while ago, and after reading a little bit of the beginners tutorial, I am very impressed with the author's ability to explain and teach beginners what each line does, means, and why it works as it does. My questions are these:

1.) If I want to begin studying and writing code, what do I need to do it? Specifically, what program(s) do I need in order to write code? Is it like HTML where it can be written in notepad then compiled? Are the programs written directly into the compiler?

2.)I have read on the site that there are different compilers, both free and non-free versions. Can someone please suggest a few of both free and non-free versions so that I may begin reviewing them.

I do appologize if these questions boarder on the rediculous side, but as stated earlier, I really have no idea where to start -- other than with the desire to learn this language. Any information which someone could supply, would sincerely be appreciated.

Thank you all for your time spent reading my post. Have a great day.

~naclh2o
You can get Visual C++ 2005/2008 Express Edition, depending on whether you want to use .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.5, though it is a rather large download. Check things out:
* 2005 - http://www.microsoft.com/express/2005/download/default.aspx
* 2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Another option is the MinGW ports of gcc and g++. However, if you plan on developing on a 64-bit platform (e.g. Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition), it is worth noting that MinGW hasn't done much with 64-bit yet. You can still use the 32-bit version, but in this case, I would recommend using Visual C++. If you're still interested, check out http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435 and download the following packages (make sure it doesn't say something like "gcc-core-3.4.5-src"):
* binutils-2.18.50
* gcc-core-3.4.5
* gcc-g++-3.4.5
* mingw-runtime-3.14
* w32api-3.11

The previous two are free, but there are also other non-free compilers that exist, such as the excellent Comeau C++ compiler. Of course, there is also Visual Studio from Microsoft. Borland also offers C++Builder.

I personally would recommend one of the free ones. After all, you don't want to start coding and eventually feel as if you wasted your money! ^_^

Take your pick! I think there are quite a few to choose from!
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Question one.
Program wise, you will need an editor, compiler, linker, debugger…OR a good Integrated Development Environment (IDE). An IDE as its name suggests integrates all the required elements for developing software into one package, this wo9uld probably be the easiest way to go.

You will probably find it useful to get a good book on C++, this is a trickier proposition. You can have a lot of people recommend books to learn from, but the most important thing is to find a book that you can read and understand, you will not learn from a book that bores you. So get a few recommendations go to your local book store and read a few random pages from each book. I have heard ‘C++ How to Program’ by Deitel is a good book but have no personal experience of it, I used The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup but I know that that is not to everyone’s taste.

Question two.
As rpgfan3233 said, there is Visual C++ express (free), but I would just go for 2008. The version of .net should not be any concern until you want to learn .net (however you can target 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 with 2008).

There are other free IDEs, Bloodsheds’ Dev-C++, Code::Blocks, eclipse, netbeans, but again it will be up to you to decide which one works for you, the best bet is to download as many as you like the look of and give them a blast.

The _*/most/*_ important thing in learning to program is…Have fun!
I personally suggest Bloodshed. It is free and can be downloaded pretty quickly from the Internet. It is also included in "C++ for Dummies: 7 in 1 Resource Guide." The CD in the back includes Bloodshed as well as some other compilers and editors, some free and some trials.

Hope this helps!
I fully recommend this website

http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/index.htm

it says 21 days and took me about 30 days, but now I understand c++, and its only been a month and a half and I am already studying more, trust me it is gonna be worth it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.