Problems with Visual Studio professional 2012

Hi guys I'm not really sure if this is the right place to put this question but I am in need of desperate help.

I need to download Microsoft Visual Studio for my programming class. I tried installing it and it seemed to work fine I launched it an it started to work. But than later in the day I clicked on it again and it asked if I wanted to modify, repair, or uninstall it. I tried all 3 of these options an it just takes me back to the same screen with those 3 options. I have downloaded visual studios a few times now and each time to just takes longer to install. I heard some people say to check the event logs on my laptop which I did. There are a few warnings an errors but I am not sure if thats because of visual studio not installing properly. Can anyone tell me What I am doing wrong here? I m downloading this on a brand new laptop I got and I had the same problem on another laptop. Why can't it just let me use the program? If anyone can help out I will really appreciate it.
I think you probably installed the redistribution or something. If so that is not the one for programming. What you got is a package used by certain games. What you want is this. http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#DownloadFamilies_4
When you go onto that page scroll down to the Visual Studio 2010 Express area because that is free and works fine. Chose the one you want and go through that installation.
so I tried downloading Visual studio from the website that you have there and I still have the same problem. This is getting really fustrsating
But than later in the day I clicked on it again and it asked if I wanted to modify, repair, or uninstall it.

sounds like you are clicking on the installer, but I could be wrong.

There are a couple of ways to start visual studio. From your start button (or start screen) type vs in the search box and click on the visual studio icon that appears.

If you created a project the first time you opened visual studio, navigate to the project folder. look for a file that ends in sln ie somefile.sln and click on it.

What I usually do is when I finish installing visual studio before I close it I right click on the icon in the taskbar and select pin to taskbar so I have an icon to click on

[Edit]
don't use visual studio 2010 that compiler is out of date
Last edited on
I'm pretty sure I tried that before. I'm really starting to get fustrated. I might end up just calling technical support from Microsoft. Not sure if they can help but Im out of options.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.