for Loops- need help

Hello. I am taking a beginning C++ class and the teacher is terrible (really. I'm not just saying that.) He wants us to write programs based on material we have not covered. Anyway, I am having trouble with an assignment. Here are the instructions:
Write a program that accepts an integer input from the keyboard and computes the sum of all the integers from 1 to that integer. Example, if 7 were input, the sum: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 would be computed. Use a while or for loop to perform the calculations. Print out the result after the sum has been calculated. NOTE: if you input a large integer, you will not get the correct results.

My code to //declare and initialize variables is:

float n, i;
cout < "Enter an integer: ";
cin >> n;

My code to print out the integers from 1 to n is:

for (i = 1; i <=n; i++)

What I can't figure out is how to ADD all of the integers together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited on
You can add a variable for the total. In the same for loop you can increment each value of i into the total. Make sure you initialize the total variable to 0.

Looks like all the numbers involved are integers, so I'd give them an int type, not float.
@wildblue

I still don't know how to put that into code. This is only our second week. This is what I have so far:

//preprocessor directives

int main ()
{
//declare and initialize variables

int n, i;
int total;

//user input

cout << "Enter an integer: ";
cin >> n;

//compute sum of all integers from 1 to n
total=0;

for (i = 1; i <= n; i++)
cout << i;

return 0;
}
Each time you go through the loop, you want to add the current value of i to total.

total = total + i or total += i
@wildblue- thank you:) it's working.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.