Where do I start, and what can I do? Ambition!

Young and ambitious newbie programmer here. I've decided I'm going to take up C++ programming with the ultimate goal of developing a game! I am aware that it will take a lot of hard work, trial-and-error, and patience, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes! Only one issue though...

I have no idea where to go! I've been reading the tutorials from learncpp.com, but what if I want to learn something that Learncpp doesn't have documentation on? If I learn C++ in a few years, won't I have to do some more reading if I were to make a game? What if I come across a function I've never heard of? Will I as a coder have to rely on all the internet resources available as a means of learning? What if a time comes where said resources are unavailable to me? How will I learn?

I think I'm trying to say that I'm mot sure how I should go about learning and I feel that all my learning has to be done through a mixed number of internet resources. What if I get the wrong information?

What if you get the wrong information? That's the "trial-and-error" part.
Surely you don't believe everything you read on the Internet do you ?

Information is a tool, like a hammer, just because you have a hammer doesn't mean you can build a house. It's what you do with the information. Read to understand, analyze, discard or utilize.

The choice is yours, not the internets.
You're wasting your time worrying. Download a good IDE and compiler, grab a few tutorials and references, maybe buy a book or two. Most important: Writing code is way more important than reading about writing code!
Well, I'll tell you how I got about about when I stepped into programming one and half years back.

I didn't even know that there's something called programming! It all started when I took up a CS course in my 11th grade. I wrote my first hello world in Turbo C++. And followed one of the locally written books on C++(too bad the book's not available in the internet. Or else you'd have a good laugh looking at it).

Then, one day I suddenly came across [url=http://codechef.com]this[/url] and came to know that even after 6 months of writing console programs, I know nothing, not even 0.5 %(still I doubt how much better I know today). I started trying them. Then googling and searching landed my to SDL and SFML site's and since then I haven't looked back.

Even now I have a long way to go(learn STL, data structures, etc) but till now I have done only two very [url=http://fleptic.eu/my-projects.html]primitive projects[/url].

So be positive and learn, unlearn and relearn. ;)

All the best!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.