Getting rid of a period

The code is fully functional, I am just wondering if there is a way to get rid of the period when you output the list of words but not all 25. In order to terminate the loop, you either have to type in all 25 words or use a period. By typing in the period though, it sorts the period in with the words.
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>
#include <iomanip>
using namespace std;

//This program will allow the user to enter a list of words into an array, however, the list cannot exceed 25 words.
//The program will then output the list in the original order that it was entered,
//as well as output it alphabetized by using a bubble sort function.

//Josef Jaworski
//Date: December 8, 2013

const int MAX_WORDS = 25; //the maximum amount of words that the user inputs
const int MAX_CHARS = 30; //the maximum amount of characters that the words can be.

//prototypes for the different functions
void getwords (char [MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS]); //this function will allow the user to enter the words.
void outputwords (char [MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS]); //this function will output the words in the order they were put in.
void sortArray (char [MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS],int size); //this function will use a bubble sort to alphabetize the words.
void showArray (char [MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS],int size); //this function will output the alphabetized words.

int main ()
{
	char strings[MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS] = {0};
	getwords(strings);

cout<<"The list of animals as it was input: "<<endl;
	outputwords(strings);
	cout<<"\n\n";
	sortArray (strings, MAX_WORDS);
	cout<<"The list of animals alphabetized: "<<endl;
	showArray (strings, MAX_WORDS);
	cout<<endl;
	system ("pause");
	return 0;
}

//this function will allow the user to enter the words.
void getwords (char strings[][MAX_CHARS])
{
		cout<<"Please enter a list of animal names, ending the list with a period."<<endl;

for (int i = 0;i < MAX_WORDS; i++)  //This will allow the user to enter as many words as they want, up to 25.
	{
		cin >> strings[i];
		if (strcmp(strings[i],".")==0)  //this will stop the function if the user enters a "." before entering 25 words.
		{
			break;
		}
	}
	cout<<endl;
}

//this function will output the words in the order they were put in.
void outputwords (char strings [MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS])
{
	for (int i = 0; i < MAX_WORDS;i++) //This allows the user to put in the words up to 25 of them.
	{
		cout<< strings[i]<<"\t";        //This outputs the words in the order they were input and gives them some spacing.

if (strcmp(strings[i],".")==0)
		{
			break;
		}
	}
}

//this function will use a bubble sort to alphabetize the words.
void sortArray (char strings [MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS], int size)
{
	bool swap;					//This be used to create a true/false statement of sorts.
	char temp[MAX_CHARS];       //This is a variable used to temporarily hold a word.

do							//This do while loop will perform the necessary steps to alphabetize the words.
	{
		swap = false;
		for (int count = 0; count < (size-1); count++)
		{
			if (strncmp(strings[count],strings[count+1],MAX_CHARS) > 0) //This will decide whether the first variable is greater than the second or not.
			{
				for(int i=0;i<MAX_CHARS;i++)
				{
					temp[i] = strings[count][i];
					strings[count][i] = strings[count+1][i];
					strings[count+1][i] = temp[i];
				}
				swap = true;
			}
		}
	} while (swap);
}

//this function will output the alphabetized words.
void showArray (char strings[MAX_WORDS][MAX_CHARS], int size)
{
	for (int count = 0; count < size; count++)
		cout << strings[count] << "\t";        //outputs the alphabetized list and gives them a better spacing.
		cout<<endl;
}
in your getwords function, you can cin to a temporary variable, test to see if it's a period, then add it to the string if it's not instead of reading input directly into the string.
Great idea, thank you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.