"Beginning C++ Through Game Programming"

I am very new to c++, and I just started reading a book called (you guessed it) "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming." I read several positive reviews of the book before I bought it, but the very first program in the book generated errors. I thought maybe I had typed it in wrong, so I went to their website and downloaded the source code, which is here:

http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/content/1435457420/sourcecode/index.asp?isbn=1435457420

But I *still* got the same errors, which are
error C2039: 'end1' : is not a member of 'std'
error C2065: 'end1' : undeclared identifier

Am I doing something wrong? I can't believe that a well reviewed book would have misprints in the printed text and the website! Here's the program:

// Game Over
// A first C++ program

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
	std::cout << "Game Over!" << std::endl;
	return 0;
}

P.S. I'm using MS Visual C++ Express Edition
Last edited on
There is nothing wrong with your code therefore it must be your ide or compiler. get code::blocks from its website and download the one called: codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup_user.exe

Last edited on
it's endl (l as in a lowercase L.. for "line")
not end1 (the number one)

@Cronnoc: don't be so quick to blame the compiler. It's hardly ever the compiler.
Last edited on
This might sound silly, but are you sure you're using l (lowercase L) and not 1 the number at the end of << endl; ?
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
There is nothing wrong with the code. Also, good choice for ur book
Just to reiterate... there is something wrong with the code.

He mistyped endl (end line) as end1 (end one)
endl: endl
end1: end1

if you look he did endl
Thanks for your replies everyone. Your were correct, Cronnoc, that was the problem. But I just wanted to clarify that the code that I pasted into my query was not typed in by me -- that was the code that I downloaded from the book's website. Which means there was, in fact, a typo in the book. Kinda doesn't bode well for the book. But I'll keep at it anyway, because I do like the way this book is written.

Thanks again everyone.
Sorry -- I should have said "You were correct, Disch." Must give credit where credit is due!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.