best ide

closed account (4jzvC542)
I was searching for good ide for windows XP....

here is my vote :

For old PC with low Memory and processor i.e. : 512 RAM and Pentium IV Quincy 2005

For high end pc a.k.a Core i7 and 16 GB RAM Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express Edition

for other alternatives (please check out : )
http://www.wtfdiary.com/2012/08/8-best-and-free-ide-for-c-and-c.html

and i have heard Qt IDE is very good c++ compiler + ide and size is 444 mb
some say it is high end but other say it could be used for simple tasks too
experts please comment............

if you know or use even better ides then please share it with me

thanking you,
parjanya
Well, the site you posted doesn't look that shiny to me. DevC++, listed 2nd, is old and unsupported.

Anyway, IDE doesn't really have that much to do with your PC. From what I see, most users tend to use either Visual Studio, or Code::Blocks. I use C::B and I am satisfied. Anyway, I would suggest you to try one or both of these. These are good IDE.
I run Visual Studio 2012 express on a 7 year old laptop with Windows XP and 2GB of RAM - the experience is perfectly adequate for simple text-based code development involving small projects; although I wouldn't fancy loading huge solutions on it or doing my mainstream development, I tend to use it for small test projects and debugging small modules at a customer site without any issues.

Also, contrary to the information on that site, Visual Studio Express is free - it's not trial, and it doesn't expire after 30 days

as @MatthewRock said, Bloodshed stopped supporting Dev-C++ a long time ago. There's a newer version called wxDev-C++, although this looks to be a dying project too - it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years: http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/

Borland C++ and Turbo C are even older (Borland don't even exist any more).

Turbo C is an absolutely dire, terrible IDE which should never be used by anyone for any kind of development - it's a bad learning tool for C++, and it has no modern nor useful features whatsoever. Frankly anyone learning C++ would be better off using Notepad and a free-to-download compiler than using the ancient toolchain with Turbo C
Last edited on
The Borland product line lives on, under the Embarcadero company. It is probably of most interest to those transitioning from an earlier version of C++ Builder.
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder

An up-to-date version of Dev C++ is also available. This is the Orwell version, last updated May 2013 (and a newer update is in progress too). http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.com/

Last edited on
@Bench82

yes.... i completly agree wid you on nightmare turbo c infact Cygwin would look good compared to it all that comand line stuff and trying to find your compiled executable from bin folder but moron curriculum developer in india still makes us student to go through it

Turbo C is an absolutely dire, terrible IDE which should never be used by anyone for any kind of development - it's a bad learning tool for C++, and it has no modern nor useful features whatsoever. Frankly anyone learning C++ would be better off using Notepad and a free-to-download compiler than using the ancient toolchain with Turbo C

Also, contrary to the information on that site, Visual Studio Express is free - it's not trial, and it doesn't expire after 30 days

but forget 2012,..................1998 Visual c++ 6.0 crashes on my old p4 pc with 512 ram thus after lot and lots of troubles i finally have settled with

Quincy 2005 

thanks for info

parjanya
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
+1 for VS2012 Express. I use VS2010 for my EXTREMELY slow computer.
Some people don't like Qt Creator, but I really do like it. The text-highlighting is so much better than in visual studio, though you can find extensions for VS (for $$$). There are not as many automated options as VS, and the solution explorer certainly isn't as good, I also don't like the drop-down menu that you use to navigate open files, but for coding or looking at source/header files I love it.
@cppprogrammer297

I use VS2010 for my EXTREMELY slow computer. 

are you kidding???

what is your hardware specifications........???
512MB, Pentium 4 2.3Ghz? It should run at a decent speed, but it is almost unusable some times.
true...................
i wonder how you do it...........
maybe you dont have other resource incentive apps installed
maybe then it is possible
+1 for netbeans
I tried to download VS2012 but it kept making me go to the VS2013 download instead. But the computer I use would be too dated for VS2013. So for now I am still stuck with Visual C++ 2010 express. Its not bad though.
How does that VS2013 Preview work? I've never tried a preview version, is it like a beta version or something?
I think it is like a beta version. They don't give you a choice to not join the (I think it's called this) Customer Experience Program.
Embarcadero's stuff is really on the top. If you want the most friendly, integrated stuff, you want XE.

Of course, it isn't cheap. (Otherwise I'd be sitting happy with RAD Studio XE4.)

I personally use my old Delphi 5 to edit everything.

There are many other good options as well, like Eclipse and Code::Blocks etc.

So many options exist because, while there are definitely "better" and "lesser" products, there is no such thing as "the best".

Use what you like best.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
*you need at least 1 gig to run VC++ comfortably.*
Last edited on
@Lumpkin
*I'm better than you because my development environment is smaller than any other program on the computer*

Now I use ed for all my programming needs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_(text_editor))

@naraku9333
Perfect comic comeback!

:O>
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.