Sunk cost

Pages: 1234
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
Do us all a favor and just break your keyboard. It's useless for you.
few reasons to return to the forum for the next few days (I do have proper c++ matters), you have answered perhaps my two most anticipated enquiries.

Thank you for acknowledging the reference to the past of our associate.You could be correct. That could have possibly been an insolent gesture, and insolence is, certainly, abhorrent, atleast at times, so I removed it.

You aren't even sufficiently risible so we get a slight chuckle at your antics.

This was not posted with the intention of amusement, and not is what follows it:
Could you explain your opinion on the following statement?

"It's beyond doubt we take a liking for different fields, but it's also beyond doubt the vast majority of us are in the market for some tangible objects. When you program for a living, in most cases, there is no practical element to your achievement. For this reason I am averse to merely programming as I feel the job for me should have a practical element as well as a modern element, such as mechanical engineering. Software, at the time of writing this, is seldom as enjoyable as the greatest mechanical marvels."

The knowledge demonstrated does seem pertinent to one enquiry I have intended to ask for a rather long time, which is, with regards to education, what is it that causes people to get jobs they loathe (provided they intend to acquire a job they would find rewarding)? Of course there are myriad answers, but I mean mainly onwards from the beginning of university. I presume it is from the following:

A) The failure to have attended a laudable university, which may have been subsequent to your college qualifications not meeting a certain standard or your inability to cover financial matters. Had you attended a more reputable university, you would seem more valuable. (Cambridge or MIT (etc) compared to mediocre universities)

B) Lack of skills other than qualifications, mainly when jobs are in high demand and you're unable to demonstrate exceptionality.

C) The failure to have achieved a certain degree level (1st class, 2nd class etc or the country's standard)

He clearly doesn't grasp that mindlessly spouting big words doesn't even remotely lend one a veneer of native intellect or perception.
Again it's not in my ability to easily shun this. Milieux have great power to influence
Last edited on
In the early days when computing devices were something new they were "programmed" by changing the hardware.

Well yea, I'm sure they exist still. I wanted to say street lights get programmed, but I figured they could just as easily be made with circuit logic. These days, everything just has a chip that can be programmed with code. My circuitry class only had use creating physical logical circuits briefly before moving on to a programmable chip. Even though we were still creating logical circuits to program it, it was on software and the chip was just being reprogrammed to follow the same logic of the circuit.

It's sad to think that there are so many worse than Rascake out in the world.
@uplime, I appreciate the pun.

Thanks, I had to go dig up my credentials just to post that :)
@uplime, as much as that pun was a groaner, it still showed more than a bit of witticism.

You did yourself proud. :)
Without the software, hardware can be pretty useless. Imagine your computer without software. It's very tangible in that you can use and interact with it. And it's also tangible in that the information exists physically.

in the context of the initial argument, it is this occurrence for which the statement argued positively for.
Imagine Rascake with an actual clue and dutifully converses in meaningful ways instead of being a troll.

Whoa! That really is fantasy.
Imagine Rascake with an actual clue and dutifully converses in meaningful ways instead of being a troll.
But it is not trolling. It was a truthful and well intentioned response made with adequate knowledge of the matter.

Could you please provide an exemplar if what was done is reprehensible?
Rascake, trolling doesn't have to be reprehensible, simply obnoxious and disruptive.

You've got that in spades.

Sucks for you to be such a no-watt nincompoop.

But of course you declaim you are not trolling.

*Best Gomer Pyle Accent*

Surprise, surprise, surprise!
Last edited on
If it is trolling, it's not even successful. No one's riled up, he just makes himself look bad. It's "I was only pretending to be retarded"-level trolling.
@helios, I have suspicions this is not an affectation or pretending.

@Rascake, you wanted an example of you being reprehensible, you served it up on a platter for all to see.

You reporting everyone not you shows you are the petulant and brain-damaged report monkey.

Go take a banana break.
You reporting everyone not you
I am the only person who has been reported.

EDIT:Ah, sorry, the colour change is not very discernible

you wanted an example of you being reprehensible
The antithesis. The complete antithesis.

You are a troll. Before your vile and disruptive post, the enquiries between myself and helios were completely peaceful. helios is able to realise that I would have no benefit in desiring disruption for this fair forum.

If it is trolling, it's not even successful. No one's riled up, he just makes himself look bad

And what is the matter with this (rhetorical). Most of what I have said is like this, and I cannot see what is "obnoxious and disruptive":

Astra wrote:
Initially, it may come across as a quandary, however, teaching is amongst the most valuable of their options, and teachers, I believe, thoroughly laudable. In a sense, they chose to devote part of their life to preparing the next generation, in lieu of indulging themselves in their own. Which does remind me of a situation I devised recently.

A fruitless process would be if a single professor teaches a class a subject, only for all the students to eventually go on to teach their own classes a subject for the former process to repeat perpetually. As nobody would incorporate their skills in real life, and no avail would be achieved. I.e it's a zero-sum game.

I implore you be the better person, and do not respond to this post, wasting your own time. Loquacity degrades in some cases.

Last edited on
I am the only person who has been reported.

You are a fucking liar, Rascake. You are what you are.
Hence the edit I made not long after. It's no use attempting to convince you otherwise.

Using a forum as a way to exercise your command arcane language never did harm.
Ah, sorry, the colour change is not very discernible

So you are blind as well as stupid.

Being a narcissistic, pretentious fool suits you.
@helios may I ask how you would compare the value, to an employer, of a graduate from a fairly outstanding university, in comparison to a graduate from a mediocre university? You may use an analogy if that would help you stress anything.

EDIT:(given their degrees are both excellent and equal)
Last edited on
Do you mean, if I was conducting the interviews? I would not consider the degrees or schools relevant. I'd try to get a feel for their skills to see if either of them have any that are useful to the types of problems we solve. For example, have they ever done any reverse engineering, or do they know anything about cryptography?
Do you mean, if I was conducting the interviews?
I meant what the typical employer's attitude is. If your account resonated what most employers do, then that is fine and I am grateful.
Last edited on
There's no such thing as the "typical employer". General attitudes vary from place to place and from time to time. If I told you what employers near me are like it would be of no help to you. You need to either start sending out resumes or ask someone in your city who's currently looking for a job in the field you're interested in.
Affirmative.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234