Sunk cost

Pages: 1234
closed account (E8A4Nwbp)
Thank you Mr Thesaurus man, very cool!
You're magnanimous, I am replete with gratitude for your encomium.

1. A lot of people just don't know what they want to do.
I suppose in youth, media mainly embellishes jobs which needn't one to possess a degree. Upon realising later on the ranking of such an occupation (for instance an emergency service) is uncertainty subsequent

2. Some people want to do things nobody needs (more accurately, that the market's demand is already met), like study literature or philosophy...
all he could answer was "to teach"

Initailly, it may come across as a quandary, however, teaching is amongst the most valuable of their options, and teachers, I believe, thoroughly laudable. In a sense, they chose to devote part of their life to preparing the next generation, in lieu of indulging themselves in their own. Which does remind me of a situation I devised recently.

A fruitless process would be if a single professor teaches a class a subject, only for all the students to eventually go on to teach their own classes a subject for the former process to repeat perpetually. As nobody would incorporate their skills in real life, and no avail would be achieved. I.e it's a zero-sum game.

Last edited on
To clarify, to teach philosophy at the faculty. Is there even anything else a philosophy graduate is qualified to teach?

A fruitless process would be if a single professor teaches a class a subject, only for all the students to eventually go on to teach their own classes a subject for the former process to repeat perpetually.
Yes, that's exactly the scenario I was describing. Well, almost. In reality the large majority of philosophy students will simply not get teaching jobs and will have to join the actually productive workforce.
philosophy graduate is qualified to teach?
Religious education is pertinent

The majority of philosophy students will simply not get teaching jobs and will have to join the actually productive workforce
Some could acquire an occupation in the field of entertainment. I believe copious amounts of people view content regarding, as they are called, intellectual matters, such as debates.
Last edited on
Religious education is pertinent
More useless garbage.

Some could acquire an occupation in the field of entertainment.
Still an insignificant minority. Probably even less demand than for teachers.
My guess would be politics, since philosophy teaches to argue for things you don't believe in. I googled and the first hit, https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/subjects/what-can-you-do-philosophy-degree#survey-answer , agreed: "Graduates secure work in a variety of disciplines after their degree, such as teaching, PR or politics."
Cubbi wrote:
philosophy teaches to argue for things you don't believe in
Of course, well said.

@helios As we are speaking of different jobs, I would just like to make another enquiry regarding the matter, in this case, it's regarding the job of greatest pertinence to this forum, programming.

Could you explain your opinion on the following statement?

"It's beyond doubt we take a liking for different fields, but it's also beyond doubt the vast majority of us are in the market for some tangible objects. When you program for a living, in most cases, there is no practical element to your achievement. For this reason I am averse to merely programming as I feel the job for me should have a practical element as well as a modern element, such as mechanical engineering. Software, at the time of writing this, is seldom as enjoyable as the greatest mechanical marvels."
Last edited on
Just quoting someone else doesn't communicate anything. Do you have anything to respond?
Could you explain your opinion on the following statement?

It's retarded. How is there no practical element to programming?
Just quoting someone else doesn't communicate anything. Do you have anything to respond?
Ah, it did not occur to me you would respond at such a rapid manner. Hitherto your responses were at least an hour after. Forgive me for the unconventional edits.
Last edited on
Do you have anything to respond?

Other than the usual "Hey! Look at me! See how sm'rt I think I am by mindless regurgitating words I have no clue what they mean!" non-response, what can we really expect from this clodpate?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clodpate
Last edited on

Other than the usual "Hey! Look at me! See how sm'rt I think am by mindless regurgitating words I have no clue what they mean!" non-response, what can we really expect from this clodpate?
It's an enquiry I've had for a while. I don't have a choice but to speak like that. I believe you're aware of how a milieu can change somebody

How is there no practical element to programming?

@zapshe if the end-goal is a software. it's intangible and can't quite be enjoyed as how we may enjoy, for instance, a digital pendulum clock, for which the programmer's end-goal was something tangible. (The programmer made it's interface)
Last edited on
When you program for a living, in most cases, there is no practical element to your achievement.
When I program for a living the practical element is that I can eat.

Software, at the time of writing this, is seldom as enjoyable as the greatest mechanical marvels."
*Shrug* To each his own.

I don't have a choice but to speak like that.
I seriously doubt that.

it's intangible and can't quite be enjoyed as how we may enjoy, for instance, a digital pendulum clock, for which the programmer's end-goal was something tangible.
Maybe you can't. I'm sorry you are so limited that your enjoyment depends on something as inane as whether you can physically touch something. Presumably you also find music disappointing, because you can't build little forts out of the notes.
Last edited on
Maybe "you" can't. I'm sorry you are so limited that your enjoyment depends on something as inane as whether you can physically touch something.
I did say:
the following statement
hence it was not necessarily my own opinion my response to zapshe was merely what the statement meant

I seriously doubt that.
You are entitled to your opinion, however, the eloquence of a minority of milieux is, beyond doubt, incredible.

When I program for a living the practical element is that I can eat.
Affirmative, truly insightful.

Last edited on
because you can't build little forts out of the notes.

no but you can build fortes out of the notes :3
hence it was not necessarily my own opinion my response to zapshe was merely what the statement meant
No one has ever bought this bullshit excuse of yours and no one is planning to. How stupid do you think we are?
@uplime, I appreciate the pun.
No one has ever thought your fatuity holds truth
Regardless, you did not cite the rest of the quotation and identify the fatuity.
Last edited on
Rascake all you did is show your rancid, foul smelling and mentally defective flatulence.

You are such a pathetic troll. You aren't even sufficiently risible so we get a slight chuckle at your antics.
if the end-goal is a software.

Without the software, hardware can be pretty useless. Imagine your computer without software. It's very tangible in that you can use and interact with it. And it's also tangible in that the information exists physically.

Please the past is resonating

Yea, it is. Remember when you were 1 and were shitting your diapers? Not that you've mentally matured past that age, but you did find out how to use a thesaurus so that's progress in a way.

As if bringing up things someone did years ago isn't a bitchy thing to do, you do it like you're somehow entitled and as if you're bringing up something of relevance.

Do us all a favor and just break your keyboard. It's useless for you.
Without the software, hardware can be pretty useless.

In the early days when computing devices were something new they were "programmed" by changing the hardware.

But then you already know this, zapshe. As do most of the even semi-sentient lifeforms here. :)

To Rascake this concept will be far above his pay-grade and ability to cogitate.

He clearly doesn't grasp that mindlessly spouting big words doesn't even remotely lend one a veneer of native intellect or perception.
Pages: 1234