Object Detection

This is a general question regarding image processing and object detection. I did a Google search for an answer but did not delve deep into the results since I wanted a binary answer.

Can the SIFT or SURF algorithm be implemented without OpenCV or is it solely dependent on it? I believe it is possible but I wanted an answer from someone who has deeper understanding and knowledge on the topic.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Nothing depends on anything - if you have sufficient time and skill to make things for yourself.

If it would take you a week using OpenCV, or 6 months having to craft something for yourself, which would you choose?

It's just a library. It might be complicated and full of some serious maths, but it isn't magic.
Thank you for the reply. I understand that OpenCV makes life much easier but for the project I am doing I am not allowed to use OpenCV. Strictly Nvidia CUDA C and traditional image processing methods.

I will look into other algorithms since the period required to implement this algorithm is beyond the time I have remaining.

Could you give me any advice on algorithms I could use which uses traditional image processing methods to implement object detection?

I am currently using Mathematical Morphology but I am having some issues since it doesn't grab the whole image but parts of it when the background has edge information.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.