Curious?

I set up a variable such that...

float P;

Then I assigned a value to it...

P = 2 / 7;

When I output the resultant value I am told P = 0?

All others work fine.

*** I should state that the reason for using this variable was that I am using the pow() instruction to take a variable and raise it by the power 2/7. The result was coming out wrong and so the test variable P. My original code read..

da = 1.3 * pow(mu, 2/7);

As an aside, I am using floats predominately as I thought double used up more memory and had a precision greater than I require; am I incorrect in this?

I notice people oft use double in examples.
Last edited on
Well it starts by doing 2 / 7 in integer arithmetic, and then only casts the result to a float.

Try say 2.0f / 7
2 and 7 are integer literals, and dividing two integers does integer division, which discards any 'decimal' part of the number.

If you want 3.5, one operand must be a floating-point number.
2.0 / 7; or 2.0f / 7;, 2 / 7.0; etc.

double is the 'default' type when you make a floating-pointer literal, for example 3.5.
To make a float literal, you need to do 3.5f.

Regarding performance,
See this SO link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4584637/double-or-float-which-is-faster
The answer is, it depends on hardware, and how the data is being used. It may very well be that double is faster and the FPU needs to convert floats to doubles (or a floating-point number that is neither a float or a double), and doubles are faster in the regard. Yes, doubles may use up more memory, so it depends on what the bottleneck is.

The generic advice I've heard is to just use doubles unless you specifically have a reason to use floats. For example, the GPU may be optimized for floats instead of doubles, if you're passing a lot of data to the GPU. In OpenGL's GLSL, a vec3 is a vector of floats, and dvec3 is specifically a vector of doubles, so you can see that floats are the more 'natural' option in that domain. (doubles weren't even available until OpenGL 4.0)
Last edited on
Thank you; hadn't realised the integer division thing (lovely how all programming languages have their quirks).

Equally, thank you on the performance thing; I went through and changed everything to double. Nice to know the reasoning. :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.